A roast dinner is a classic family meal. Some families serve a roast dinner every Sunday, while for others it’s a rare treat reserved for holidays or special occasions.
Learn what to serve with roast, and how to make the best complete roast dinner. These side dishes, sauces and condiments are everything you need – from traditional potatoes, to modern style sides.
You can also make vegetarian roast style meals, like nut roasts or roasted whole cauliflower.
Most roast dinners are served with vegetable side dishes. The vegetables are typically warm; usually boiled, roasted or grilled.
- Honey roasted parsnips – parsnips are covered with a sweet honey glaze and roasted in the oven. A British classic!
- Brussels sprouts with bacon – Delicious sauteed brussels sprouts with crispy bacon and maple syrup.
Potatoes are usually served roasted or boiled, but there are many other ways to prepare them as well.
- Garlic parmesan potato wedges – Wedges might be slightly untraditional, but still amazing. These ones are roasted with garlic and parmesan.
- Roasted baby potatoes with rosemary – Roasted potatoes are very typical with any classic roast, and are really easy to prepare.
- Creamy mashed potatoes – Creamy smooth mash is a great alternative to the roasted potatoes.
Sauce is an important part of any roast dinner. Whether you prefer to drown your meal in delicious gravy, or simply prefer a small pouring over the entree, you might love some of these sauces:
Some families never serve their roasts with condiments, others tend to use several. If you’re a condiment kind of person, you might love these:
- Apple sauce
- Mint sauce
- Pickles – Pickled eggs, cucumbers, onions or beetroot are often added as a simple side.
Other side dishes
It doesn’t just have to be veg and potatoes! In fact, there are plenty of side dishes that taste great with roasted meat. Here are some of my other favorites:
- Lemon garlic rice – Easy and tasty rice is perfect with Mediterranean style roasts.
- Butternut squash and halloumi salad – This hearty fall salad is perfect with turkey.
- Kale salad with apples and cranberries – With the colors of Christmas, this is a wintertime roast favorite.
- Roasted red pepper hummus – Hummus is perfect with Greek style roasted or grilled chicken.
- Roasted sweet potato and chickpea salad – A hearty and filling side salad with plenty of flavor.
- Yorkshire puddings – A traditional British side that’s found on most roast dinner tables around the UK.