These juicy, tender BBQ baked chicken wings are an excellent appetizer or entree.
Why you should make this
- It's really quick and easy
- Everyone likes chicken wings
- A great excuse to enjoy your favorite dipping sauces
- Juicy, tender chicken wings with the best BBQ marinade
- Chicken wings are really affordable
- Baked wings are healthier than fried
BBQ sauce: You can use any BBQ sauce for this recipe. I like to use my all-time favorite honey BBQ sauce, which is really easy to make and tastes amazing.
Chicken wings: Use raw chicken wings. If you have frozen chicken wings, you should thaw them before use.
Baking powder: Makes the chicken extra crispy. Don't substitute this with baking soda, as it will not work the same way.
Olive oil: Coat the chicken wings in a little olive oil or vegetable oil to keep them juicy while baking.
💡 TIP! If you brine the chicken before cooking, you will find that the meat is extra juicy, extra tender and extra delicious.
- Season the chicken: Coat the chicken wings in baking powder, seasoning and olive oil. Place them out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake the wings: Bake the wings at 375 F / 190 C for about 20 minutes. Then, flip the wings, and bake them for another 10 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce: Remove the wings from the oven and coat them in BBQ sauce. You can brush the sauce on them with a pastry brush, or toss them in a mixing bowl. Transfer back to the oven to bake for a final 10 minutes, or until crispy and tender.
- Serve: Serve the warm BBQ chicken wings immediately with your favorite dipping sauce or side dish.
- If you're unsure whether the wings are done or not, you can use a meat thermometer. Chicken is cooked when it has reached an internal temperature of 165 F / 75 C.
- If your chicken wings are very large, you will have to bake them for a little longer.
- Use a fantastic BBQ sauce. My honey BBQ sauce is the best I've ever had.
I like to serve BBQ wings as a simple appetizer with a tasty dip, or as an entree with side dishes. It's also a great option for game day or other parties. Here are some of the dishes that I like to pair it with:
- Mexican Potatoes - You simply can't go wrong with flavorful roasted potatoes and chicken wings.
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes - This creamy mash recipe is made a little healthier by adding Greek yogurt.
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries - You can bake the fries and the chicken in the oven at the same time!
Spicy: Add some sriracha to the BBQ sauce to make the wings a little spicier.
Whole wings: You can also use this recipe with whole chicken wings (with the wing tip or flapper intact). All you have to do is add 5 more minutes to the baking time.
Serve the wings with any of these amazing dipping sauces!
Leftover baked chicken wings can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat the wings in an oven, microwave or air fryer, and serve them warm.
Keep in mind that leftover chicken won't be as crispy as when they are just baked.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. I highly recommend flipping the wings when baking to ensure that they cook evenly.
If your baking powder contains aluminum, the wings could taste bitter. Make sure to use aluminum free baking powder
The secret to really crispy chicken wings is to coat them in a thin layer of aluminum free baking powder.
You might also like these recipes
- How to Cut Chicken Wings
- Honey Sriracha Wings
- Brine For Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Cajun Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
- Coat the chicken wings in baking powder, seasoning and olive oil. Place them out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake the wings at 375 F / 190 C for about 20 minutes. Then, flip the wings, and bake them for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven and coat them in BBQ sauce. You can brush the sauce on them with a pastry brush, or toss them in a mixing bowl. Transfer back to the oven to bake for a final 10 minutes, or until crispy and tender.
- Serve the warm BBQ chicken wings immediately with your favorite dipping sauce or side dish.
- Store leftover wings in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.