You can cook perfect BBQ shredded chicken in your instant pot in just a few minutes. Instant pot BBQ chicken is a fantastic entree, perfect for quick weeknight dinners.
You can substitute the seasoning for pre-made BBQ seasoning or a spice rub if you prefer.
Optionally, you can also use different seasoning to suit your preferences. See the Variations section below for some suggestions.
- Layer ingredients: Add the ingredients to the instant pot in the following order: chicken broth, chicken breasts, seasoning, diced onions and BBQ sauce.
- Cook the chicken: Seal the instant pot, and cook on the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK setting on high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the steam to naturally release for a further 10 minutes before you turn the valve and quickly release the remaining pressure.
- Shred chicken: Use two forks, meat claws or a hand mixer to shred the chicken in the instant pot.
- Serve: The chicken will be flavorful, but the sauce will be a little runny. Use a slotted spoon to serve the chicken while draining some excess liquid.
If you're looking for a great BBQ sauce, you will love my homemade honey BBQ sauce.
- Do not omit the chicken broth. This helps the instant pot come to pressure, and prevent the chicken and BBQ sauce from burning in the instant pot.
- It's important to layer the ingredients according to the instructions. The liquid is added to the bottom of the pot to prevent the other ingredients from sticking, and the BBQ seasoning and BBQ sauce must be added on top of the chicken so that the chicken absorbs all the flavor.
- Make sure to allow the pressure cooker to release the steam naturally for the amount of time suggested. The chicken will finish cooking during this time.
You can serve BBQ chicken in sliders or sandwiches for a quick meal, or pair it with side dishes for a more hearty lunch or dinner. I like to use BBQ chicken in a variety of dishes.
Here are some sides and other recipes that pair really well with BBQ pulled chicken:
- Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing - Serve the chicken in a sandwich with this ranch dressing.
- Mexican Potatoes - These crispy roasted potatoes are really easy to make.
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes - My favorite mashed potatoes, made with Greek yogurt.
- Black Bean Corn Salad - This refreshing and colorful salad is perfect with BBQ entrees.
- French Potato Salad - You can't beat BBQ chicken and potato salad!
Browse my collection of instant pot chicken recipes for more quick and healthy dinner recipes.
Spicy chicken: If you want to make the dish spicy, you can add up to 2 teaspoons of chili powder or Cayenne pepper. Season to taste.
BBQ ranch: Add a tablespoon of ranch seasoning along with the other spices.
Taco: You can substitute taco seasoning for the spices to make a taco flavored BBQ chicken.
You can store leftover chicken in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. It's also suitable for freezing, and you can freeze it for up to 6 months.
Thaw frozen BBQ chicken in a refrigerator overnight, and reheat it in a microwave, instant pot or on the stovetop for a few minutes until it's hot throughout.
I love to make a big batch of BBQ chicken, and freeze it down in portion sized containers. This allows for quick and easy meals whenever it's needed in the future.
Frequently asked questions
BBQ sauce can burn in an instant pot if it's placed on the bottom. Therefore, the sauce should be added on top of the chicken.
You might also like these recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast
- Slow Cooker Mojo Chicken
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Use two forks, meat claws or a hand mixer to shred the chicken in the instant pot.
- The chicken will be flavorful, but the sauce will be a little runny. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to serve the chicken while draining some excess liquid.
- Store leftover in a refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze them for up to 6 months.