After making air fryer bacon, you will never cook bacon any other way. This easy recipe will have your crispy bacon done in only 3 minutes!
Whether you're looking to cook a few bacon strips for breakfast, or you're preparing a big batch to use in a recipe, cooking it in the air fryer is the easiet and most convenient option.
I love bacon, but I really hate cooking it in a skillet. It's too messy and greasy for me. Air fryer bacon is perfectly crispy, cooks much faster, and the cleanup is really easy.
Why you'll love it
- Easy method
- Fewer dishes to clean
- Ready in 3 minutes
- Works with any bacon
- Cook it to your liking; whether that's soft or crispy
🍴 More AIR FRYER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
Types of bacon
Air frying bacon works for any type of bacon, of any cut or thickness.
The American style streaky, thin bacon is perfect to cook until crispy. British bacon rashers, or back bacon, is usually thicker, and might not become crispy, but still cooks well in the air fryer.
You can also use this method to cook diced or sliced bacon of any kind. Keep in mind that thinner or smaller pieces cook faster, while thicker bacon takes a little longer.
Most types of bacon should be ready to eat after 3-5 minutes of cooking.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
Preheat your air fryer to 400 F / 200 C. I like to turn the air fryer on before I grab the bacon out of the refrigerator, as it only takes a minute or two to preheat.
Place your bacon in the air fryer basket. Try not to overlap the bacon too much, and avoid stacking the strips on top of each other.
Air fry bacon for 3-5 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it. You can check the basket occasionally to see if it's cooked to your liking. The bacon in the photos above has been cooked for 4 minutes.
Cooking frozen bacon in the air fryer
Can you cook frozen bacon in the air fryer? Absolutely. However, there is a major requirement: the bacon strips must be frozen individually.
If you try to air fry frozen bacon rashers that are stuck together, they will simply cook too unevenly. These bacon rashers should ideally be defrosted or thawed before use. You can do this by storing the frozen bacon in a refrigerator overnight, or by using a microwave or oven with a defrost setting.
It's really easy to cook individually frozen strips of bacon in the air fryer. Simply place them in the air fryer basket, and follow the instructions above. As they are frozen, you might have to increase the cooking time by 1-2 minutes, but the result will be fantastic.
💡 TIP! Freeze bacon rashers by spreading them out on a baking tray, and placing it in the freezer. After a few hours, the bacon will be frozen, and you can place the bacon strips in a freezer bag for permanent storage. You can then grab individual bacon strips whenever you feel like it, and cook as many as you want, without having to defrost a whole packet.
- Don't stack strips of bacon on top of each other, as this could make it cook unevenly.
- Keep an eye on the air fryer, and check on the bacon intermittently to make sure that it cooks to your liking. Different makes and models of air fryers can cook a little differently.
- Use tongs to remove the cooked bacon from the air fryer basket, as it's going to be really hot.
- The bacon strips might end up moving around in the basket. This will result in them curling up and being twisted. This is very common when cooking bacon in the air fryer, and mainly depends on the quality of the bacon.
- Remove excess fat by patting down the bacon with a paper towel.
Bacon is so versatile, and has many uses. Add it to sandwiches or burritos, serve a few slices with your breakfast, or crumble it over salads, casseroles or soups for a savory crunch.
Here are some of my favorite recipes including crispy bacon:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Maple Syrup
- Broccoli and Bacon Salad
- Pasta Salad with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
- Chicken and Bacon Pasta Bake
- Bacon Aioli
- Keto Caesar Salad with Bacon
- Bacon Meal Prep Ideas
- Bacon and Lentil Soup
Leftover air fryer bacon can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days, however it tastes best when served immediately.
If you wish to store it, I highly recommend using a paper towel to wipe off excess grease from the bacon, and to reheat the bacon in the air fryer before serving.
You can also prepare a batch of bacon to use in other dishes, like casseroles or soups, throughout the week.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! Simply follow the steps above, and adjust the cooking times if needed. Check on the bacon after a few minutes to make sure it doesn't burn.
If you have frozen individual strips of bacon, you can definitely air fry them directly from frozen. You might need to add a few extra minutes to the cooking time. Note that it does not work as well if you have multiple bacon rashers frozen together, as they will not cook evenly. If your frozen bacon is stuck together, I recommend defrosting them first.
As bacon contains a lot of fat, you don't have to add any oil or cooking spray when you air fry regular bacon. You might want to consider it if you're cooking lean bacon like British bacon rashers, turkey bacon or vegetarian bacon substitutes.
🍴 More AIR FRYER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
You might also like these recipes
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Fajitas
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Brats (Bratwurst)
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Rutabaga Fries
- Air Fryer Halloumi Fries
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
Air Fryer Bacon
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 spray cooking spray (optional - if using lean bacon)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F / 200 C.
- Place raw bacon strips in the air fryer basket. Avoid stacking them on top of each other.
- Air fry for 3-5 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the bacon.
- Check the air fryer after a few minutes to see if you are happy with the result. The cooking time might vary depending on your air fryer.
- You can also air fry turkey bacon, back bacon or vegetarian bacon substitutes.
- Increase the cooking time with 1-3 minutes if the bacon is frozen.
- Store leftovers in a refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer before serving.
Leave a comment