Cook up these easy air fryer fajitas for a delicious and easy weeknight dinner. Peppers, onions and chicken are seasoned well and air fried to tender, flavorful perfection.
I love chicken fajitas! I have also shared recipes for my favorite Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas, Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas and Sheet Pan Fajitas, so of course I had to also share one of my favorite air fryer dinners of all time; air fryer fajitas!
This recipe is incredibly easy, and allows you to have dinner ready on the table in only 15 minutes. It's an entire meal in one dish, and all you have to do is air fry it, put it in a wrap, and eat.
I also love to top my fajitas with some delicious sauces, or serve them with side dishes. See the serving suggestions below for some of my favorites.
Why you'll love it
- Quick and easy chicken fajitas
- Less oil and low fat compared to other cooking methods
- Light and lean dinner
- Kid friendly and kid approved
- Dairy free, gluten free and nut free
- Dinner in less than 20 minutes
🍴 More AIR FRYER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
Bell peppers: You can use any bell peppers. I combine red, yellow and green bell peppers to make the dish extra colorful.
Chicken: Use chicken breast, or other boneless and skinless chicken like chicken thighs.
Seasoning: We use salt, paprika, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. You can also use my favorite homemade Fajita Seasoning!
Onion: Use red, white or yellow onion.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
Slice the peppers, onion and chicken into bite sized strips. Add everything to the air fryer, along with seasoning and olive oil. Use a pair of tongs to stir everything and to coat the ingredients with the seasoning.
Air fry at 360 F / 180 C for about 5 minutes, then flip and air fry for another 5-7 minutes. The exact cooking time will vary depending on how thick you cut the chicken.
Slice a piece of chicken in half, or use a meat thermometer to check that the chicken has cooked through before you remove it from the air fryer. Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Always slice the chicken against the grain to make it extra tender.
- Smaller pieces of chicken will cook faster than larger pieces. Keep an eye on the chicken while it cooks to prevent it from overcooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is perfectly cooked.
- You can use any color peppers that you like.
Fajita chicken is best served in flour or corn tortilla wraps, with any of your favorite toppings or side dishes. Here are some of my favorite dishes to pair it with:
- Side dishes: Black Bean Corn Salad, Instant Pot Mexican Rice, Mexican Potatoes
- Toppings: Guacamole with lemon, Pineapple Mango Salsa, Cheesy Tex Mex Sour Cream Sauce
Extra veggies: Add extra vegetables like cauliflower, mushroom or green beans. This is a very nontraditional version of fajitas, but a great way to add more veg to your meal.
Other meats: Replace the chicken with sliced sausage, steak, shrimp, lamb or fish for a tasty alternative.
Other seasoning: You can of course substitute the seasoning however you like. Try using any store bought fajita seasoning, or your favorite Mexican seasoning or even taco seasoning.
Store leftover air fryer fajitas in a sealed container for up to 3 days in a refrigerator. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
Defrost frozen fajitas in a refrigerator overnight, and reheat it in a microwave or air fryer for a few minutes, then serve it warm.
I recommend storing the fajita filling separate from the wraps, and only assembling them when you're ready to serve them. This will prevent the fajitas from becoming soft or soggy.
🍴 More AIR FRYER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
Frequently asked questions
Reheat the chicken fajitas at 360 F / 180 C for about 3-5 minutes, or until the ingredients are warm throughout.
Yes, you can put aluminum foil in an air fryer. Put a layer at the bottom of the air fryer basket to make cleanup easier. This can increase the cooking time required, as it restricts the air flow.
Absolutely! Make steak fajitas, shrimp fajitas or lamb fajitas by replacing the chicken with other meat. You can also make them vegetarian by using vegan chicken alternatives, or vegetables.
You might also like these recipes
- Halloumi Fajitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Pork Chop Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Swordfish Tacos
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
Air Fryer Fajitas
- 2 chicken breasts
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Slice the peppers, onion and chicken into bite sized strips. Add everything to the air fryer, along with seasoning and olive oil. Use a pair of tongs to stir everything and to coat the ingredients with the seasoning.
- Air fry at 360 F / 180 C for about 5 minutes, then flip and air fry for another 5-7 minutes. The exact cooking time will vary depending on how thick you cut the chicken.
- Slice a piece of chicken in half, or use a meat thermometer to check that the chicken has cooked through before you remove it from the air fryer. Serve in warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
- Store leftovers in a refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost and reheat in an air fryer or microwave before serving.
- Replace the chicken with steak, shrimp, mushroom, or sliced sausage if you wish.
Leave a comment