These easy slow cooker chicken fajitas are exactly what you need for your next taco Tuesday. Chicken breasts and peppers are combined with tasty fajita seasoning and slow cooked to perfection.
Check out my collection of slow cooker shredded chicken recipes for more easy dinner inspiration!
My favorite thing about slow cooker dinners is how easy they are to make. Pulled chicken has never been more convenient! All you have to do is add the ingredients to the slow cooker, turn it to low and wait for a few hours.
The meat will cook slowly over a low heat, resulting in an incredibly juicy, tender and delicious chicken.
This is the perfect family meal for busy people. Get the dinner ready in the morning, and leave it to cook until you're ready to eat in the afternoon. The dish can be ready to eat within a few hours, or you can leave it for half a day with no issue.
All you need to make these amazing slow cooker chicken fajitas is three ingredients: chicken breast fillets, fajita seasoning and peppers.
Use peppers of different colors for a more exciting appearance, or stick to your favorite.
Make sure to use your favorite fajita seasoning. I like to make my homemade fajita seasoning without cumin, but you can use any fajita seasoning recipe, or store bought fajita mix.
Add chicken breast fillets to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning on top, and cover with a lid. Cook the chicken on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours. The chicken breasts should be completely cooked through, and there should be no pink meat.
Then, use two forks or these convenient meat shredder claws to shred the chicken. Slice the peppers and add them to the slow cooker. Cook for another hour until the peppers have softened.
Remove the slow cooker fajita chicken and serve immediately, or keep them on the warm setting for a few hours until you're ready to serve dinner.
You can make this recipe with most cuts of chicken. I prefer to use boneless chicken breast fillets. They are lean cuts of chicken that cook fast, and the result is super tender.
If you choose to use chicken with bones and skins, you should keep in mind that these may require a slightly longer cooking time. You will also have to discard the skins and bones when you shred the chicken.
💭 Top tips
Here are my best tips to achieve the perfect Crockpot fajita chicken:
- Use your favorite fajita seasoning. Even taco seasoning works. I love my homemade fajita seasoning with cumin!
- There is no need to add any liquid or oil to the slow cooker. The bottom of the pot will be filled with water from the chicken as it cooks, and the ingredients will not burn.
- You can use frozen sliced peppers for convenience.
- You might have to increase the cooking time if you are using chicken thighs or other cuts of chicken. Always ensure that the meat has cooked through before serving it.
- Avoid removing the lid from the slow cooker unless you have to. Doing this will let the steam out, and reduce the temperature in the slow cooker.
- You will have the best result if you use a low temperature setting.
🥗 Serving suggestions
Slow cooker fajita chicken is perfect served as classic fajitas. Serve them in corn or flour tortillas with your favorite toppings. Choose between guacamole, salsa, cheese, cilantro, lime juice, sour cream, sliced jalapenos or avocado.
Fajita chicken stores really well! Here's how you can get the most out of the leftovers:
- Storing: Keep the leftover chicken in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the chicken and assemble the fajitas as required. I would not recommend storing the assembled fajitas, as they can end up in a soggy mess.
- Freezing: Freeze the fajita chicken in freezer safe containers for up to 6 months. I like to make a big batch of it, and freeze down in portion sizes for later. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat before serving.
- Reheating: Reheat the leftovers in a microwave for a few minutes until it's hot throughout before serving.
- Reusing: You can use leftover fajita chicken in dishes other than fajitas! Try adding them to slow cooker chicken taco soup, skinny Mexican casserole or nachos!
🍴 You might also like these recipes..
If you love healthy slow cooker chicken recipes, you should try any of these recipes:
📋 Frequently asked questions
Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe? - It is not recommended adding frozen meat to a slow cooker, and this can cause harmful bacteria to develop. If you want to use frozen chicken, you should thaw it first!
Can I add any other ingredients to the chicken? - Absolutely. You can add anything you want to the slow cooker. Try adding some corn or red onions for a delicious alternative with extra vegetables.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast fillets (700 g)
- 2 peppers
- 3 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- Add chicken breast fillets to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning on top, and cover with a lid.
- Cook the chicken on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-5 hours. The chicken breasts should be completely cooked through, and there should be no pink meat.
- Then, use two forks or meat shredding claws to shred the chicken. Slice the peppers and add them to the slow cooker. Cook for another hour until the peppers have softened.
- Remove the slow cooker fajita chicken and serve immediately, or keep them on the warm setting for a few hours until you’re ready to serve dinner.
Leave a comment