Slow cooker garlic Parmesan chicken and potatoes is a simple, delicious one pot dinner that you can make with very little effort. The potatoes and chicken thighs are cooked together in a Crockpot, and the dish is perfect for lunch or dinner.
The dish is assembled in the morning, and cooks through the day. This means that you don't have to worry about cooking in the afternoon. Slow cooker garlic chicken is packed with flavor, and paired with Parmesan and tender potatoes, this is a popular meal that the entire family will love.
🥘 More SLOW COOKER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
Why you'll love it
- Easy to make
- Prepare dinner in the morning, and you won't have to cook in the afternoon
- Juicy chicken thighs, and perfect tender potatoes
- The meat and potatoes are cooked together, so you don't have to worry about side dishes
- Adjust the seasoning to suit your preferences
Chicken thighs: I use bone-in chicken thighs, but you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or skinless chicken breasts if you prefer. If you want to use frozen chicken, you will have to thaw the meat first.
Chicken stock: You can use premade chicken broth, or water and a bouillon cube. Alternatively, use vegetable stock, beef broth or even just water.
Potatoes: Use baby potatoes, or larger red potatoes cut into chunks.
Garlic: Garlic cloves add a lot of flavor to the dish. You can also use garlic paste or garlic powder instead.
Olive oil: Used to brown the chicken thighs. You can omit this if you use skinless chicken.
Parmesan: Freshly grated Parmesan cheese makes all the difference in this recipe. You can omit it to make a dairy free version.
Seasoning: Salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning or a combination of dried herbs like thyme, oregano, rosemary and parsley add flavor to the dish. You can adjust the seasoning as you like.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
One: Coat the chicken with salt, half of the black pepper, garlic powder, and half of the Italian seasoning. Heat up olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and sauté the chicken on both sides until the skin is brown.
💡 TIP! If you use skinless chicken, like skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, you can add them directly to the slow cooker without browning them in a frying pan first.
Two: Add diced garlic, the remaining seasoning, chicken broth and potatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Three: Place the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes. Cover with a lid, and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours. Top with shredded Parmesan cheese, and serve.
💡 TIP! The skin will soften after it's cooked in the Crockpot. If you prefer to serve the chicken with crispy skin, you can place them under a broiler, or in an oven, and bake at 400 F / 200 C for a few minutes before serving.
- Leave the lid on the slow cooker while the food cooks. This allows a more even cooking result.
- This recipe is best suited for a 3 quart or 6 quart slow cooker.
- Browning the meat before you add it to the slow cooker is technically not essential, but adds a lot more flavor to the chicken.
- Make sure that the potatoes are of a similar size. Cut any large potatoes into smaller pieces.
- Baby potatoes can be cooked whole. Larger potatoes should be cut into large chunks. If the potatoes are too big, they might take longer to cook.
This one pot meal is best served for dinner or lunch. You can serve it on its own, or pair it with a vegetable side dish to complete the meal.
Here are some of my favorite sides to enjoy with chicken and potatoes:
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Avocado Chickpea Salad
- Spicy Roasted Carrots
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Instant Pot Cabbage
With added vegetables: You can also add other vegetables, like carrots, mushrooms or green beans to the dish. These tend to cook faster than potatoes, and should be added halfway through the cooking time.
Other seasoning: Feel free to adjust the seasoning, or substitute for other spices that you like. Ranch seasoning is an excellent alternative, and red pepper flakes is a great way to make spicy chicken.
Other types of chicken: Substitute the chicken thighs for boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts. These cuts of chicken will be leaner, but taste just as nice. You can even use different cuts of chicken.
To make this recipe, you will need a slow cooker. I prefer to use a wide Crockpot, as this allows you to place the chicken thighs next to each other, rather than stacking them on top of each other. It should also be at least 3 qt, but a 6 qt will also be very suitable.
Additionally, you will need a frying pan or skillet or sear the meat. This is an additional step that adds a lot of flavor. You can also brown meat in a pot on the stove.
Store any leftover slow cooker garlic Parmesan chicken in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in a slow cooker, microwave, oven or on the stove top, and serve it hot.
You can also shred the chicken, and add the meat and potatoes to other dishes like soups or casseroles.
Crockpot Parmesan chicken can also be frozen for up to 6 months. Thaw the chicken and potatoes, and reheat it before serving.
🥘 More SLOW COOKER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! The slow cooker is perfect for cooking raw chicken breasts, chicken thighs or any other cuts of chicken.
You might also like these recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Slow Cooker Hunters Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken
Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Frying Pan
- Season the chicken with salt, garlic powder, and half of the black pepper.½ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 6 chicken thighs
- Heat up olive oil in a frying pan on medium to high heat. Add the chicken thighs, with the skin side down. Sear until the chicken is golden brown, then flip and cook the thighs until they are cooked on the bottom too.1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks. If you're using small baby potatoes, you can use them whole. Add these to the slow cooker, along with the remaining seasoning and finely chopped garlic. Stir to combine.1 pound potatoes, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- Add chicken stock to the slow cooker. Place the chicken thighs on top of the potatoes, with the skin side up. Cover with a lid, and set to cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.2 cups chicken stock, 3 garlic cloves
- Add grated Parmesan cheese to the top of the chicken thighs a few minutes before serving. Cover the slow cooker with a lid to allow the cheese to melt slightly.½ cup Parmesan cheese
- The chicken skin will be soft after slow cooking. You can place the chicken thighs under a broiler for a few minutes to make the skin crispy before serving.
- Feel free to replace the chicken with boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Store any leftovers in a refrigerator for up to 3 days, and reheat them before serving.
Food safety tips
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended