Make crispy air fryer fish sticks from fresh or frozen with this super simple recipe. Homemade fish sticks are really easy to make from scratch, but you can also buy frozen breaded fish to save on time.
Why you'll love it
- Really easy to make
- A delicious fish recipe
- Perfect crispy fish sticks
- Takes less than 20 minutes
- Versatile - use any fish that you like!
- Homemade fish sticks - or cook them from frozen
🍴 More AIR FRYER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
White fish: Any white fish can be used. Try making fish sticks with cod, sea bass or tilapia.
All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour, oat flour or almond flour is used to coat the fish sticks. This gives them an excellent texture.
Egg: The egg helps the breadcrumbs stick to the fish sticks.
Breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs give the fish sticks a crispy coating. Use plain breadcrumbs, or Panko breadcrumbs if you prefer.
Seasoning: Salt and pepper add some flavor to the fish sticks. See the Variations section further down on this page for even more seasoning ideas.
Homemade fish sticks
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
Cut the fish fillets into sticks. You can make them as small or large as you like. Coat the sticks individually in a layer of flour, then a layer of egg, and finally a layer of breadcrumbs.
Place the fish sticks in the air fryer. Cook at 360 F / 180 C for about 7-10 minutes, or until the breading is golden and the fish has cooked through. Flip the fish sticks once halfway through cooking to ensure that they cook evenly.
Air fryer frozen fish sticks
Can you cook frozen fish sticks in the air fryer? Absolutely! Frozen fish sticks are perfect for quick and easy meals. You can either freeze homemade fish sticks, or buy them frozen from the store.
Air fry them at 360 F / 180 C for about 15 minutes. Turn them once halfway through cooking. The breading should be golden and crispy, and the fish should be warm and tender.
- The cooking time can vary depending on the size of your fish sticks. Keep an eye on them to prevent them from burning.
- If your air fryer doesn't have a non stick coating, you should spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent the fish sticks from sticking to the bottom of it.
🍴 More AIR FRYER RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
Serve fish sticks as an entree for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. Pair them with a lovely sauce, and complete the meal with a delicious side dish. Here are some of my favorite options:
- Potatoes: Parmentier Potatoes, Mexican Potatoes, Air Fryer Potatoes
- Salad: Lemon Kale Salad, Asparagus Pasta Salad, French Potato Salad
- Rice: Instant Pot Mexican Rice, Dill Rice, Pesto Rice
- Sauce: Honey BBQ Sauce, Yogurt Dill Sauce, Healthy Homemade Ranch Dip
Change up the seasoning: Try using different seasoning options. Dried herbs, chili powder, cayenne pepper or ranch seasoning can add a lot of lovely flavor to fish sticks.
Different types of white fish: You can make homemade fish sticks using any type of white fish. Try making them with cod, sea bass, hake, haddock, tilapia or other white fish to find your favorite.
Air fryer fish sticks definitely taste best when served immediately, but you can safely store any leftovers in a refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Reheat them in an air fryer to make them crispy before serving.
Frequently asked questions
Sauces or seasoning can add fantastic flavor to frozen fish sticks. You can also serve them with delicious side dishes to make a fantastic meal.
You might also like these recipes
- Air Fryer Tilapia
- Swordfish Tacos
- Pan Fried Hake
- Pesto Crusted Salmon
- Air Fryer Breaded Chicken
- Air Fryer Brats (Bratwurst)
Air Fryer Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Sticks
- Cut the fish fillets into sticks. You can make them as small or large as you like.
- Add flour, whisked eggs and breadcrumbs to three separate bowls or plates.
- Dip a piece of fish into the flour, and coat thoroughly. Then, coat it with egg, and lastly with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process with every fish stick.
- Place the fish sticks in the air fryer. Cook at 360 F / 180 C for about 7-10 minutes, or until the breading is golden and the fish has cooked through. Flip the fish sticks once halfway through cooking to ensure that they cook evenly.
Frozen Fish Sticks
- Air fry at 360 F / 180 C for about 15 minutes. Turn them once halfway through cooking. The breading should be golden and crispy, and the fish should be warm and tender.
- Store any leftover fish sticks in a refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat them in the air fryer until crispy, and serve them warm.