The warm and comforting pumpkin spice latte is the perfect hot beverage for fall! A delicious and creamy drink, and much healthier than the Starbucks version.
Pumpkin lattes are a classic fall beverage, and seeing them on the menu in your local coffee shop is a sure sign of the start of the pumpkin season.
Making your own pumpkin pie latte at home is probably easier than you'd think. All you need is a handful of common ingredients, and 5 minutes of your time.
This recipe can be adapted to suit most dietary requirements.
Looking for a chilled coffee drink? Try my Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte!
Why you'll love it
- Comforting and delicious coffee
- So easy to make
- No special ingredients or equipment needed
- Easy to customize
- Half the calories of the Starbucks version
Strong brewed coffee: Espresso, or any strongly brewed coffee, is a crucial part to any coffee. You can use extra strong instant coffee, or shots of espresso if you have a coffee maker or espresso maker.
Pumpkin puree: Canned pumpkin puree adds the pumpkin flavor to this latte. You can also use homemade pumpkin puree.
Pumpkin pie spice: Any pumpkin spice mix will work well. You can buy them in most supermarkets, particularly in the fall, or make your own homemade pumpkin spice.
Vanilla extract: Adds a hint of vanilla to the coffee. Omit if you prefer.
Milk: Use any milk that you like. Plain cow's milk, oat milk, almond milk and soy milk all work really well.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
One: Pour milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and sugar into a pot. Warm it up on the stove top, and whisk to dissolve the sugar. Don't allow it to boil.
Two: Add pumpkin pie spice and brewed coffee to the pot. Add any additional sweetener or pumpkin spice to taste.
Pour the latte into a cup and serve.
- Carefully watch the milk on the stove. It should not simmer or boil. Warm milk can boil over really quick, so don't leave it unattended.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar and pumpkin spice to suit your preferences.
- If your pumpkin puree is chunky, you might have to strain the beverage. I often find this to be the case when using homemade pumpkin puree.
- Experiment with using different types of milk to discover your favorite.
Serve this beverage as you would any coffee. I love a warm cup of coffee in the morning, or as a treat through the day. You can also serve it with any meal.
As an extra treat, try topping your pumpkin latte with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice!
With flavors: Add flavored coffee syrups, like chocolate syrup or caramel syrup. You can also use flavored or sweetened milk.
Vegan and dairy free version: Use a vegan milk alternative. Soy milk, oat milk, almond milk and rice milk are all great options in this beverage.
Pumpkin lattes are best served immediately. Any leftovers can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 1 day, and reheated on the stove or in a microwave before serving.
I highly recommend preparing fresh coffee drinks, and drinking them immediately, as this is when they will have the best flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Pumpkin spice flavored drinks and foods have become popular due to Americans' nostalgia for Thanksgiving, where pumpkin pie is traditionally served for dessert. Many pumpkin flavored recipes have been adapted, with pumpkin spice latte being a really delicious result.
Pumpkin spice is a spice blend made by combining cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. It's traditionally used in pumpkin pies, which is why many call it pumpkin pie spice, or pumpkin spice for short.
You might also like these recipes
- Instant Pot Apple Cider
- Gingerbread Latte
- Iced Chai Latte
- Iced Caramel Latte
- Sugar Free Hot Chocolate
- Ginger Turmeric Tea
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 cup oat milk
- ⅓ cup strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pour milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and sugar into a pot. Warm it up on the stove top, and whisk to dissolve the sugar. Don't allow it to boil.
- Add pumpkin pie spice and brewed coffee to the pot. Add any additional sweetener or pumpkin spice to taste.
- Pour the pumpkin latte into a cup, and serve. Optionally, top with whipped cream.
- Vegan: Use vegan milk, such as oat milk or almond milk.
- The coffee tastes best when consumed immediately.