Get into the festive spirit with this easy homemade peppermint coffee! Peppermint mocha is served with optional candy canes and whipped cream as an indulgent treat, or as a fantastic morning beverage.
Peppermint mochas are always really popular in the weeks leading up to Christmas, and with this easy recipe, you can make your own!
This simple coffee with peppermint and chocolate flavor is easier to make at home than you might think and tastes absolutely amazing. It's the perfect seasonal morning coffee and looks as festive as it tastes.
Why you'll love it
- Easy to make seasonal coffee
- Only 5 ingredients required
- A fantastic Christmas coffee option
- Vegan and dairy free peppermint coffee options available
- No special equipment required
Milk: Use any milk that you like. Oat milk or whole milk is perfect to make a creamy coffee, but skim milk, almond milk, or soy milk are lighter options.
Cocoa powder: Adds a hint of chocolate flavor to make peppermint mocha. Can be omitted if you prefer to make the coffee without chocolate.
Espresso: Use a shot of espresso or strong brewed coffee. You can even use strong instant coffee, or make fresh coffee from ground coffee beans.
Peppermint extract: Adds a lovely peppermint flavor. You can use candy canes or peppermint syrup if you prefer.
Candy canes: Add extra peppermint flavor, and look beautiful as a garnish.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
Add the milk, sugar, cacao powder, and peppermint extract to a small pot. Place it on the stove, and gently heat it up over medium heat while you whisk the ingredients to quickly combine them.
The milk mixture should not boil, but simply be warm. Then, add the espresso or strong brewed coffee, and stir.
Adjust the amount of sugar, peppermint, or coffee to taste if you wish, and serve hot peppermint mocha with candy canes and whipped cream on top.
- Keep an eye on the milk while you warm it up, as it can quickly boil over.
- Don't allow the milk to boil. It should simply be warm.
- You can adjust all ingredients to taste. Add more or less peppermint or chocolate as you wish.
This homemade peppermint coffee is best served as a comforting beverage, or as a tasty treat for any occasion, and is perfect during the holiday season.
Dairy-free and vegan: Make sure to use certified dairy-free cacao powder, and use a vegan milk alternative. I prefer to use oat milk, but almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, and soy milk will all work fine.
Caffeine-free: You can definitely use decaf coffee if you prefer!
Garnishes: You can top your peppermint coffee with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, candy canes, chocolate sauce, or any other garnishes that you like.
Peppermint iced coffee: Allow the coffee to cool down, then refrigerate it. Serve in a large cup over ice cubes to chill it completely.
This recipe does not require any special equipment and the only thing you need is a small pot that you can use on the stove. You might also want a whisk to prepare the peppermint mocha on the stove.
If you have a milk frother or steamer, you can steam some milk to turn this into a latte with milk foam, but this is completely optional. I prefer to serve it as a mocha, with whipped cream and candy cones as garnish!
This beverage is best served immediately, while it's warm and fresh. You can technically store it in a refrigerator for up to 2 days, but I recommend making fresh coffee anytime you want a cup.
To make the drink last longer, you can store it in a thermal flask or bottle. These can often keep coffee hot for an entire day and is a great alternative if you want to enjoy it over several hours.
Frequently asked questions
Peppermint coffee is simply coffee with added peppermint flavor. It's usually enjoyed in December, leading up to Christmas, and often includes chocolate syrup or cacao powder.
Food grade peppermint extract and peppermint oil are safe to use. There are certain essential oils that are not suitable for eating, so make sure to use an oil that is safe to eat. This is indicated on the packaging labels.
You might also like these recipes
- Eggnog Coffee
- Gingerbread Latte
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Iced Chai Latte
- Iced Caramel Latte
- Ginger Turmeric Tea
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
- 1 shot espresso (or strong brewed coffee)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 candy cane
- whipped cream
- Add the milk, sugar, cacao powder, and peppermint extract to a small pot. Place it on the stove, and gently heat it up over medium heat while you whisk the ingredients to quickly combine them.
- The milk mixture should not boil, but simply be warm. Then, add the espresso or strong brewed coffee, and stir.
- Adjust the amount of sugar, peppermint, or coffee to taste if you wish, and serve hot peppermint mocha with candy canes and whipped cream on top.
- Optionally serve the peppermint mocha with whipped cream and a candy cane on top.
- Adjust the amount of peppermint, cocoa powder, and sugar added to taste.
- Use any milk you like, such as oat milk, whole milk, skim milk, almond milk, or soy milk.
Food safety tips
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove