Make this amazing BBQ chicken flatbread in only 20 minutes! A quick alternative to pizza, and perfect for an easy weeknight lunch or dinner.
If you love BBQ chicken pizza, but don't really have time to make a proper pizza, this easy flatbread version is for you! Made using your favorite store bought flatbread (or pizza crust!), in only 20 minutes.
The chicken is tender and flavorful, but you can also make this recipe with any leftover shredded BBQ Chicken.
If you love this barbeque chicken flatbread, you might also like my Mediterranean Flatbread!
Why you'll love it
- So quick to make
- Easy to customize to suit your preferences
- Perfect for an easy lunch or dinner
- Tastes fantastic
- Kid friendly
Chicken breasts: Lean chicken breast is great for this recipe. Alternatively, use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Flatbread: Use your favorite flatbread. Store bought, or homemade flatbread will both work perfectly fine. I really like my homemade Sweet Potato Flatbread in this recipe!
Onion: Red onion is a great flatbread topping.
BBQ sauce: Use your favorite BBQ sauce. I love my homemade Honey BBQ Sauce!
Shredded cheese: Any shredded cheese will work fine. I like to use cheddar with BBQ chicken.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
One: Slice and season the chicken, and cook it in a frying pan for a few minutes, until it's almost cooked through. The meat will get a lovely, golden color.
Two: Place your flatbread on a baking sheet, and spread some BBQ sauce on top.
Three: Top the flatbread with shredded cheese, sliced red onion and diced chicken. Bake in the oven at 360 F / 180 C for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Use any flatbread that you like. You can make your favorite homemade flatbread, or buy store bought flatbread like naan, pitta bread and more.
- The exact baking time required can vary depending on which type of flatbread you're using. Keep an eye on them!
- It's important that the chicken has cooked through completely before you serve the meal. Make sure that the meat is golden brown on the surface before you put it on the flatbread and bake it in the oven.
- Use a great BBQ sauce! I love my homemade Honey BBQ Sauce.
This flatbread is a quick and easy meal, and perfect for lunch or dinner. I love to serve it with some amazing side dishes, like a fresh salad or crispy potatoes. Here are some of my favorite recipes to pair the flatbread with:
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Avocado Chickpea Salad
- Black Bean Corn Salad
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Spiralized Potatoes
- Air Fryer Potatoes
Dairy free: Make sure to use dairy free flatbread, and a vegan or dairy free cheese alternative.
Vegetarian: Make the dish vegetarian by using a vegan chicken substitute, or replace the chicken with vegetables, mushroom or roasted chickpeas instead.
With veggies: Feel free to add some diced vegetables if you wish, like corn, bell peppers, sliced jalapenos, or cherry tomatoes.
All you need to make this recipe is a decent frying pan, and a baking sheet. I love to use my cast iron pan, but any skillet will work well.
You might also want to use parchment paper on the baking sheet to make clean-up a little easier.
Store leftover BBQ chicken flatbread in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat it in a microwave, or simply enjoy it cold.
Leftover flatbread is quite similar to leftover pizza, in that it might become a little dry, but is still perfectly fine to eat!
Alternatively, you can prepare the chicken and toppings, and store them separately. Then, you can assemble the flatbread and cook right before you're ready to eat. This is a great way to meal prep this dish.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. BBQ chicken is excellent on pizza or flatbread.
You can make a pizza style flatbread with most types of flatbreads. I prefer to use yeasted flatbreads, like naan, as they tend to be quite thick.
You might also like these recipes
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
BBQ Chicken Flatbread
- Frying Pan
- Slice the chicken against the grain. Slice the red onion thinly.
- Season the chicken, and cook it in a frying pan for a few minutes with a little olive oil, until it's almost cooked through. The meat will get a lovely, golden color.
- Place your flatbread on a baking sheet, and spread some BBQ sauce on top.
- Top the flatbread with shredded cheese, sliced red onion and diced chicken. Bake in the oven at 360 F / 180 C for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Store any leftovers for up to 3 days. Reheat in a microwave, or serve the flatbread cold if you prefer.
- Feel free to add diced or sliced vegetables to your flatbread if you like.
- You can use any of your favorite flatbreads, like naan or pitta bread.