This easy scallion cream cheese bagel spread only requires a handful of ingredients, and can be prepared in a matter of minutes. It's a great addition to any breakfast, and even tastes great in a sandwich.
You don't have to go to a bagel shop to enjoy perfect bagels. Lather your favorite homemade bagels with savory cream cheese for a quick and easy 5-minute breakfast.
If you like this homemade cream cheese spread, you will also love my Whipped Feta With Honey!
Why you'll love it
- Easy to make in a matter of minutes
- Only requires a few ingredients
- Stores really well
- Low carb, keto, vegetarian, gluten free and nut free
- Vegan and dairy free alternative available
- Perfect for bagels, toast, sandwiches and more
- A traditional bagel spread
Cream cheese: Use a block of cream cheese softened at room temperature, or unflavored, spreadable cream cheese.
Scallions: Scallions, green onions or spring onions add a great flavor to the cream cheese. These should be as fresh as possible, and chopped into small pieces.
Garlic powder: Garlic powder, garlic paste or finely grated garlic cloves will add extra flavor to the spread. You can also omit the garlic if you prefer.
Salt: A pinch of salt will bring out the flavors of the other ingredients. Omit it if you wish.
🍳 More BREAKFAST RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
One: Wash the scallions, and slice them finely or chop them into small pieces.
Three: Stir to combine the ingredients evenly. Add any additional seasoning to taste, and spread the cream cheese on your favorite bagel.
- If using a block of cream cheese, or hard cream cheese, you will need to soften it before use. It should have a spreadable consistency.
- It might be easier to use spreadable cream cheese.
- The seasoning should be added to taste. You might want to add more or less than the amount recommended.
- Use a fork, knife or spoon to combine the ingredients of the spread.
You can also serve add it to sandwiches, smoked salmon canapes, or any other savory dish which requires cream cheese.
Extra ingredients: In addition to the other ingredients, try adding grated or pureed garlic, finely chopped herbs like dill or parsley, lemon juice, bacon pieces, finely diced peppers or celery.
Dairy free + vegan: Use a vegan cream cheese alternative. You can find this in most grocery stores and supermarkets.
To make this recipe, you will simply need a bowl or a small mixing bowl, and a fork, spoon or spatula.
You will also need a sharp knife and a cutting board to slice the green onions.
Additionally, if you're making the spread ahead of time, you will need a sealable container suitable for storage.
Store any leftover cream cheese with scallions in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. It's perfect for breakfast meal prep, as you serve it with a variety of bread based dishes.
You can also use it in any recipe which requires cream cheese, such as casseroles or sauces. The addition of green onions makes this spread much more flavorful than plain cream cheese, and well suited for savory dishes.
🍳 More BREAKFAST RECIPES from Hint of Healthy
Frequently asked questions
It will last up to 4 days in a refrigerator.
Nothing! Scallions and green onions are the exact same thing. Some call them scallions, others call them green onions. Spring onions are also very similar, but tend to have a larger bulb.
Yes. If you want to make this recipe with a block of cream cheese, you will have to soften it first by leaving it at room temperature for up to 30 minutes.
You might also like these recipes
- Whipped Feta With Honey
- Sugar Free Grape Jam
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Cottage Cheese Dip
- Blueberry Chia Jam
- Spicy Tuna Wraps
- Cranberry Chicken Salad
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
Scallion Cream Cheese Bagel Spread
- Wash the scallions, and slice them finely or chop them into small pieces.
- Add the sliced scallions to a mixing bowl, along with softened cream cheese, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir to combine the ingredients evenly. Add any additional seasoning to taste, and spread the cream cheese on your favorite bagel.
- If using a block of cream cheese, you will have to soften it at room temperature for a while first. Alternatively, you can simply use spreadable cream cheese.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste. Feel free to add any finely diced ingredients to taste, such as garlic, peppers, cooked bacon, ham or fresh dill or parsley. You can also add sour cream or lemon juice.
- Refrigerate any leftover scallion cream cheese for up to 4 days. This is a great make ahead bagel spread recipe, and perfect for meal prep.