These easy spicy tuna wraps are perfect as a quick and easy lunch, breakfast or even dinner. A healthy Greek yogurt tuna salad is wrapped with fresh vegetables, and enjoyed immediately, with no cooking required!
Sometimes I forget just how good a wrap can be. You know when you really want a good meal, but you can't be bothered to cook? Wraps have your back. This tuna wrap can be made in only a few minutes, and it's so good!
To make the tuna salad, you will need canned tuna, scallions (green spring onions), celery sticks, sriracha hot sauce, jalapenos and Greek yogurt.
You will also need your favorite wraps. I use whole wheat wraps, but you can also use corn tortillas, spinach wraps or any other wrap of your choice.
Additionally, you want some other toppings to add to your wraps. I use lettuce, cucumber and fresh basil leaves.
Drain the canned tuna, and add it to a bowl along with finely chopped scallions, celery and jalapenos. Add sriracha and Greek yogurt, and stir to combine the tuna salad.
Heat the tortilla wraps slightly in a microwave or oven until they are warm. Fill them with the tuna salad, lettuce leaves, sliced cucumber and fresh basil leaves.
Serve the spicy tuna wraps immediately, or store them in a refrigerator until you're ready to eat them.
📋 Types of tuna
This recipe calls for canned tuna. As fresh or frozen tuna fillets will have a completely different texture, these are not recommended.
Canned tuna usually comes in 3 varieties: tuna in oil, tuna in brine and tuna in water.
You can use either type of tuna in this recipe. Keep in mind that tuna in oil typically has a higher fat content, and tuna in bring usually contains more salt. You might therefore want to adjust the seasoning based on which type you choose.
I personally prefer tuna in water. It has a very plain flavor, which allows you to choose exactly how you want to season the dish.
💭 Top tips
Here are my very best tips t make the best spicy tuna wraps:
- Don't assemble the wraps if you want to prepare the meals ahead. They will not store well in the fridge over long periods of time. Keep the tuna salad separate, and assemble when you're ready to eat!
- Add the sriracha to taste if you're not sure how spicy you want it. You can adjust it to suit your preferences.
- The celery adds a nice crunch to the tuna salad, but you can omit it if you want.
- Remember to drain the tuna before use, or you'll end up with a very thin tuna salad with too much water in it!
- Dairy free: Use a dairy free yogurt or mayonnaise.
- Vegetarian: You can actually replace the tuna with smashed chickpeas for a vegetarian chickpea "tuna" salad. Simply crush the chickpeas with a fork, and combine the with other ingredients.
- Mild or extra spicy: You can make the tuna salad milder or spicier by adjusting the amount of sriracha added. If you're not quite sure how much spice you want, I suggest adding it to taste, a little at a time.
🌯 Filling ideas
Wraps can be varied endlessly, and there are so many excellent ingredients that would be perfect in this dish. Here are some ideas which I think would be great with the tuna salad:
- Lettuce and cucumbers: Fresh, mild and crunchy. A perfect combination.
- Tomato, corn and black beans: A variety of flavors and colors which give the wraps a Southwestern vibe.
- Oven roasted green beans or asparagus: Roasted, crunchy vegetables are perfect with the creamy salad.
- Cheese and chili lime rice: For a more filling meal with extra spice.
🥗 Serving suggestions
These wraps are best served as a quick meal. I typically enjoy them as an easy lunch, but they are also perfect for dinners, especially when you don't feel like cooking.
You can also enjoy the tuna salad with other types of bread. Serve it in sliders, sandwiches or on crispbreads. Spicy tuna lettuce wraps are also great - serve the tuna salad wrapped it large lettuce leaves!
The tuna wraps can be stored for a little while, but they tend to become soggy over time. However, the tortillas, spicy tuna salad, and other toppings store really well separated
Keep the tuna salad in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. Assemble the wraps as required, and serve them immediately.
This makes the salad perfect for meal prep, and you'll have easy breakfasts or lunches ready in no time.
🍴 You might also like these recipes..
If you love easy meals, you should try any of these recipes:
📋 Frequently asked questions
Can I use frozen ingredients? - No. If using anything frozen, you should thaw it first.
Can I use other types of fish? - Absolutely, however I have not tried it, so I'm not sure how it would taste. You can try making it with canned salmon or mackerel if you want.
Spicy Tuna Wraps
- 2 small cans of tuna (200 g / 1 cup drained)
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 tbsp diced jalapenos
- 6 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 scallion
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tortillas
- 1 romaine lettuce
- 1 English cucumber
- Drain the canned tuna, and add it to a bowl along with finely chopped scallions, celery and jalapenos. Add sriracha and Greek yogurt, and stir to combine the tuna salad.
- Heat the tortilla wraps slightly in a microwave or oven until they are warm. Fill them with the tuna salad, lettuce leaves, sliced cucumber and fresh basil leaves.
- Serve the spicy tuna wraps immediately, or store them in a refrigerator until you’re ready to eat them.