Chili lime rice is a flavourful and easy alternative to plain white rice. It's perfect when served with Mexican, Caribbean or Southwestern flavours.
Here is everything you need to make chili lime rice:
- Rice - Use white or brown rice to suit your preference.
- Vegetable stock - Or water and stock cubes.
- Chili powder - Adds lovely flavour.
- Lime - Only the juice is needed.
How to make chili lime rice
Add the rice, vegetable stock and chili powder to a small pot. Place it on the stove top on medium heat, and allow it to simmer for 10-15 minutes (or longer if using brown rice), until the water has been absorbed and the rice has cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Add lime juice to the cooked rice, and stir to combine. Add additional chili powder if you want to make it spicy. Serve the rice while it is still hot.
Store leftover chili and lime rice in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Serve this as a side dish with your favorite mains. Try rice with chili and lime with chicken and aubergine curry, chicken adobo, or pork chops.
I also love adding this rice to burritos or wraps for a more filling and hearty meal. It's also great with tacos or chicken fajitas.
Frequently asked questions
Is this spicy? - The rice is flavoured with chili, but is not spicy. If you want to make a spicy version, you can simple add more chili powder!
Can I omit the vegetable stock? - I suggest cooking the rice in vegetable stock because it adds so much flavour. You could cook it in water instead, but it might come out more bland.
More healthy side dishes
- Lemon and garlic rice - Easy rice with Mediterranean flavours.
- Creamy slow cooker mashed potatoes - Fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes go with anything!
- Black bean corn salad with coriander - Easy Southwestern style salad.
- Couscous salad with pomegranate - Perfect with Middle Eastern food.
Chili lime rice
- 200 ml rice
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lime juice only
- Add the rice, vegetable stock and chili powder to a small pot. Place it on the stove top on medium heat, and allow it to simmer for 10-15 minutes (or longer if using brown rice), until the water has been absorbed and the rice has cooked through. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add lime juice to the cooked rice, and stir to combine. Add additional chili powder if you want to make it spicy. Serve chili lime rice while it is still hot.
Very nice recipe. We have to try. So easy, flavorful and delicious.
Thanks, Mohan! I hope you like it 🙂
Just found your recipe on pinterest. Thank you so much for sharing. It was so good, easy and fast to prepare. My husband loved it too. I made fajita chicken bowls and the rice, it was a big hit. I will definitely be making this rice again.
Thank you for your comment, Sharon, I'm happy you liked it!
Flavourful, very easy to make recipe that is a great accompaniment to any Mexican food. We had it with enchilladas. Thanks for the recipe!