Black bean corn salad is the perfect quick and easy side dish for your Text Mex and Mexican meals. Add it to wraps, burritos, tacos or enchiladas, or serve it with chicken or a casserole; this dish is super versatile. The black beans make the dish quite filling. Add this salad to your dinner table to bring out a pop of colour, and to make your main dish last longer.
Ingredients for black bean corn salad with coriander
Black beans: I use tinned black beans that I drain and rinse thoroughly. Black beans are soft and lovely, and add some extra protein to the dish.
Corn: Use either tinned corn that you drain, or frozen corn that is thawed. I use frozen corn that I quickly thaw by placing them in a bowl, and cover them with boiling water from my kettle. Leave it to sit for a minute or two, then the corn will be completely thawed!
Red onion: Finely chopped onion add more flavour and colour to this dish. Red onion is sweet and I often eat it raw in salads.
Coriander: Or cilantro if you’re American. This herb adds a lot of flavour to the dish, and is super complimentary to any Mexican or Tex Mex dish.
Lemon juice or lime juice: Added for some acidity, and almost acts like a dressing for the salad.
Meals to serve black bean corn salad with:
- Perfect pan seared pork loin steaks
- Sheet pan fajitas
- Balsamic maple glazed salmon
- Easy slow cooker apricot chicken with thyme
Leftover black bean and corn salad
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can serve this dish with another meal later in the week, or you can simply throw the entire salad in a Mexican themed stew or casserole later in the week. All of these ingredients fit perfectly in Chicken taco soup or Chili con carne.
More easy side salads:
- Kale salad with apples and cranberries + tahini dressing
- Broccoli salad with raisins and bacon
- Tomato and mozzarella salad
- Couscous salad with pomegranate
- Side salad with lemon dressing
Black bean corn salad with coriander
- 175 g sweetcorn drained or thawed weight
- 1 tin black beans, drained 400 g size
- 1/2 red onion
- handful fresh coriander
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- Make sure to rinse and drain the beans and corn thoroughly before adding them to to a salad bowl.
- Add finely chopped red onion and roughly chopped coriander/cilantro to the same bowl.
- Finally, squeeze the juice of half a lemon or lime over the salad, and stir to combine all the ingredients.