After I learned how to cook green beans properly, they have changed from being my least favorite vegetable to one of my most favorite vegetables. If you’re used to eating boiled, steamed or tinned green beans, these oven roasted green beans will blow your mind. They are roasted, which is undoubtedly the best way to prepare vegetables. They have tons of seasoning, obviously bringing the result up a notch or five. Lastly, the roasting makes them perfectly crispy, which is such an underestimated texture in vegetables. This side dish is honestly so good I could make a bowl to eat as a snack.
How to make oven roasted green beans
Wash your green beans and remove any stems. Add to a baking sheet, cover with vegetable oil, salt and pepper, and insert the tray into the oven. The vegetables roast in 7-12 minutes, depending on how roasted you want them. I prefer them to be a little blacked on the edges for extra crunch. Add roasted green beans to a plate, and serve immediately while warm.
Main dishes to serve this with
This is an excellent side dish, particularly for meat dishes. Here are some of my favorites to serve green beans with.
- Slow cooker gammon in coke
- Slow cooker soy and honey chicken
- Slow cooker lemon chicken
- Pork with apple cream sauce
- Butternut squash pasta sauce
- Cod wrapped in prosciutto with peas
- Mediterranean apricot chicken bake
Are green beans good for you?
Being a vegetable, green beans are very good for you. They are packed with vitamins and minerals, and a very good source for fiber and vitamin C. Green beans are low calorie and excellent for many popular diets. This makes them an excellent side dish, since you can add a lot on your plate without increasing the amount of calories per portion. They are also delicious when prepared properly, and cheap too.
More delicious side dishes
Oven roasted green beans
- 200 g green beans
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- salt, pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 180°C fan oven / 400°F
- Rinse and clean the green beans and add them to a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the oil over the green beans, and season with salt and pepper. Combine it all so that the beans are completely covered in oil.
- Roast the green beans in the oven until they are softened and golden on the edges. This usually take about 10-15 minutes.