These easy and delicious shredded beef tacos are perfect for quick weeknight dinners. Prepare your favorite pulled beef in the Instant Pot or on the stove, and assemble amazing tacos using your favorite toppings.
This easy Mexican shredded beef recipe can be prepared in a slow cooker or in an Instant Pot. These tasty shredded beef tacos are perfect for easy weeknight dinners, as they require very little hands-on cooking.
Create a taco buffet with a variety of toppings, and let everyone assemble their own tacos however they prefer. Or simply prepare the toppings that you like! This is a great opportunity to get creative and try some new ideas.
Why you'll love it
- Simple, but delicious recipe
- Perfect for easy weeknight dinners
- Save time by making the beef ahead
- Great for using up leftover shredded beef
- A tasty alternative to ground beef tacos
🥘 More INSTANT POT RECIPES From Hint of Healthy
Shredded beef: The key ingredient to these tacos is of course the beef. You can use your favorite recipe or preparation method, but I love making my shredded beef in the Instant Pot. Make sure to use taco seasoning or flavors when you cook the beef.
Tortillas: Wheat or corn tortillas both work well for these tacos. Use your favorite. You can also use crunchy taco shells if you like.
Toppings: Top your tacos with whatever you like! Diced avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt, salsa or pico de gallo, guacamole, diced tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, freshly sliced chili, and freshly squeezed lime are all great options.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
One: Prepare your shredded beef. My favorite way is to pressure cook beef with a cup of beef broth, chili powder, smoked paprika, and taco seasoning until tender, but you can also cook shredded beef on the stove or in a slow cooker.
Two: Assemble your tacos by adding the shredded beef to preheated tortilla wraps, and top with your favorite toppings. I love adding avocado, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice to mine.
- Make sure to preheat your tortillas to make them softer and easier to eat. I like to heat mine up in a skillet or oven, but you can also use a microwave.
- The shredded beef can be made ahead and reheated when you want to serve the pulled beef tacos.
- Feel free to add any toppings that you like, or use what you have available.
Instant Pot shredded beef tacos are best served as an easy lunch or dinner. Pair them with your favorite toppings, like guacamole, diced onion, jalapenos, Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, or your favorite leafy greens.
You can also serve tacos with a Tex Mex side dish. For example, try my Instant Pot Mexican Rice, Mexican Potatoes, Sauteed Onions and Peppers, Pineapple Mango Salsa, or Roasted Frozen Corn.
Other types of meat: Instead of beef, try making this dish with pulled chicken, pork, or any other meat that you like. Even diced or shredded cooked fish can work well in tacos!
Slow cooker shredded beef tacos: Ensure a perfectly tender result by cooking your beef in a slow cooker. Using a tough cut like braising steak or chuck roast, slow cook it along with your seasoning for at least 8 hours until it falls apart. The result is perfect shredded beef every single time.
Change up the toppings: Be creative with the toppings, and try something new. Salad dressing, feta cheese, coleslaw, BBQ sauce, fresh herbs, shredded carrots, and broccoli rice are uncommon toppings that you might like more than you expected.
To make your shredded beef, depending on the method you want to use, you will need a crockpot or slow cooker, an Instant Pot, or a large pot suitable for the stove.
Additionally, you will need a skillet or oven to heat up the tortillas, along with a sharp knife and a cutting board to prepare the vegetables.
Assembled tacos will quickly go soggy if not consumed immediately.
Store any leftover shredded beef separately from the tortillas and toppings. The beef can be refrigerated for up to 4 days, and the toppings typically for 2-5 days.
Assemble tacos on the go by reheating the meat and tortillas in a microwave or skillet, and top with any sauces and vegetables that you like.
🥘 More INSTANT POT RECIPES From Hint of Healthy
Frequently asked questions
Pulled beef tacos are best made with tougher cuts of meat, like braising steak or chuck roasts. Avoid using leaner types of meat like sirloin or beef filet.
Absolutely! You can make shredded beef on the stove or in an Instant Pot, and assemble the tacos when the meat is cooked.
You might also like these recipes
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
Shredded Beef Tacos
- Instant Pot (or slow cooker)
- Slow Cooker (or Instant Pot)
- 2 pound chuck roast (or braising steak)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 tortillas
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- Season the chuck roast or braising steak with all seasoning on all sides.
Instant Pot method
- On SAUTE mode, saute the beef in olive oil until the meat is golden brown on all sides.
- Add the beef stock to the Instant Pot, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape any pieces of meat from the sides and bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Seal the lid, and select the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL setting. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- Perform a quick release to release the pressure. Use two forks or tongs to shred the beef. It should fall apart easily.
Slow Cooker method
- Season the beef thoroughly on all sides.
- Using a frying pan, heat up the olive oil and sear the beef until golden brown on all sides.
- Transfer the meat to a slow cooker or crock pot, and cook on low for 8-10 hours until the beef is fall apart tender. Use two forks or tongs to shred the beef.
Assemble the tacos
- Warm up the tortillas in a skillet, oven or microwave according to the package instructions.
- Prepare your favorite toppings. Make sure to wash and dice or slice the vegetables you want to use.
- Assemble tacos by filling the wraps with shredded beef, followed by your favorite toppings. Serve immediately.
- Store leftover shredded beef separately from the tortillas and toppings, in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Make sure to use a cheap, tough cut of meat, like chuck roast or braising steaks. These will have the best texture when shredded.
- Use your favorite toppings. Cheese, onion, guacamole, and lettuce are great alternatives to the ones suggested above.
- Feel free to use another method to prepare your shredded beef if you want. You can for example make it on the stove, or in the oven.
- The beef can also be substituted with chicken thighs or pork shoulder.
Food safety tips
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Leave a comment