Popcorn with honey and cinnamon
Cinnamon and honey is such a great flavour combination for popcorn. Although unusual, it’s just a perfect combination of crunch, sweetness and the delicious flavour of cinnamon.
This is a great low calorie snack, and it’s perfect when you’re craving something sweet. It oly takes 5 minutes to make, and all you need is cinnamon, honey, popcorn kernels and a bit of vegetable oil.
The best honey for popcorn
I usually use this runny honey, but you can use any brand.
How popcorn is made
We make popcorn by cooking popcorn kernels over a high heat. When they reach the correct temperature, the kernels pop and become the yummy snack we know and love.
You can buy pre-popped popcorn, or microwave popcorn, but this recipe requires unpopped kernels. We will also need either butter or oil to prevent the popcorn from sticking and burning in the bottom of the pop.
Stove top popcorn
Popcorn is made easy on the stove top by heating up some butter or oil, then adding popcorn kernels. Make sure to use a large pot with a lid. If you don’t have a lid available, you can cover the pot with aluminum foil - just make sure to cover it or you will have popcorn all over your kitchen.
Is popcorn gluten free?
Popcorn is naturally gluten free. This means it’s safe to eat for people with celiac disease, and it’s also suitable for most diets that don’t allow grains.
Is popcorn good for you?
Yes! Popcorn is a whole grain, fiber rich food, and it’s very low on calories compared to other snack alternatives. It doesn’t have too many vitamins, so you shouldn’t base your entire diet around popcorn, but it can absolutely be eaten as part of a varied and healthy diet.
This recipe uses oil and honey in addition to the popcorn kernels. Although these can also provide benefits, they also increase the calorie amount in your popcorn.
Quick snack ideas
Popcorn is my movie snack of choice, but if you crave something else, there are plenty of other options on the blog. Try one of the following recipes:
- Broccoli bites
- Peanut butter oatmeal cookies
- Cinnamon rolls
- Dill Pickle Popcorn
- Chocolate Covered Popcorn
- Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Peanut Butter Apple Nachos
Popcorn With Honey And Cinnamon
- Add the oil to a large pot, and heat it up until the oil is sizzling.
- Add a popcorn kernel to the oil. When the oil is hot enough, the kernel should be sizzling. When this happens, add all the other popcorn kernels and place the lid on top. Shake the pot to distribute the kernels evenly, and cover them with the oil.
- The popcorn will start popping. Shake occasionally to prevent burning, and allow it to pop until the pot is full or the pops happen 2-3 seconds apart. Take the pot off the heat but leave the lid on for a minute in case any other popcorn kernels are popping.
- Add cinnamon and honey to the popcorn while it's still hot, and stir to coat it thoroughly.
- Serve immediately, or store the popcorn in an airtight bag or container for up to a few days.