These cinnamon puff pastry rolls are perfectly flaky, fluffy and absolutely delicious. We use ready made puff pastry covered with cinnamon, sugar and butter to create these super easy cinnamon rolls, and they are absolutely perfect. Serve them as a quick snack, a sweet breakfast or a special treat; there is no wrong way to enjoy cinnamon rolls.
I love making cinnamon rolls using puff pastry. It's quite common in the UK, and a great alternative to the Scandinavian yeast based cinnamon buns. The best part is that it only takes a few minutes of work, which is perfect if you're in a rush.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read more about it in the disclaimer.
Ingredients for cinnamon puff pastry rolls
This easy recipe only requires four ingredients:
- Puff pastry. I buy ready rolled chilled puff pastry. If you buy the frozen kind, you will have to thaw it thoroughly before baking with it. You can find dairy free or low fat versions as well as the regular kind that I use.
- Butter. Your butter has to be soft and spreadable. I often leave mine out of the fridge for an hour to bring it to room temperature before using it.
- Sugar. I use regular white sugar, but you could try this recipe with brown sugar or even palm sugar too.
- Cinnamon. Because they wouldn't be cinnamon rolls without it!
How to make cinnamon rolls with puff pastry
Roll your puff pastry out to a rectangle, preferably on a baking sheet or a floured surface. Spread soft butter all over the surface, and cover evenly with sugar and cinnamon. Roll it up starting from the shortest side, then slice into 10 evenly sized cinnamon rolls.
Add the rolls to a baking tray, and bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the pastry has puffed up and is slightly golden. Perfect!
How to serve cinnamon rolls
I love serving these plain, as is. Cinnamon rolls are perfect as a sweet Sunday breakfast, or for your brunch table. They are also great for making some fresh and easy if you're expecting visitors. I love them as they are, but if you have a sweet tooth, you can also cover them with cream cheese frosting, royal icing or an extra drizzle of cinnamon on top.
How to store cinnamon rolls
You can store these cinnamon rolls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat them quickly in the microwave for perfect, warm cinnamon rolls. You can also freeze raw cinnamon rolls without baking them. You can then later thaw them in the fridge overnight, and bake in the oven for fresh cinnamon rolls in the morning. This is a great option if you don't necessarily want to make (and eat) 10 cinnamon rolls in one batch.
More sweet breakfast recipes:
- Chocolate peanut butter oatmeal
- Cinnamon raisin overnight oats
- Healthy gingerbread pancakes
- Greek yogurt pancakes
- Peanut butter oatmeal breakfast cookies
Cinnamon puff pastry rolls
- 400 g puff pastry
- 2 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan oven / 395°F.
- Roll your puff pastry out to a rectangle of about 30 * 40 cm. You can also buy ready rolled puff pastry to simplify the process. I recommend adding some flour to your table if you are rolling the pastry on your own to prevent it from sticking.
- Spread softened, room temperature butter all over the puff pastry. It's important that the butter is completely soft, as the surface of the pastry has to be evenly covered.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl, and drizzle over the buttered pastry. Try to cover it evenly.
- Roll the pastry starting at the short end. Try to roll it as tight as you can without putting too much pressure on the pastry.
- Slice the pastry roll into 10 equal sized rings, then place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the pastry has puffed up and is slightly golden.