This refreshing pear and walnut salad is a delicious, lean side dish you can make in under 10 minutes. Perfect to serve with roasted or grilled meat!
I'm obsessed with easy salads. It's the perfect side dish you can make in a few minutes while the rest of the food is cooking. I love to use fruit in salads to lighten them up, like my kale and apple salad or chicken and mango salad.
Nothing completes a meal better than a colorful salad, and this pear and walnut salad is absolutely packed with nutrients! It's a great salad perfect for a light summer meal, or to serve with a hearty fall roast dinner.
You will also need mixed leafy greens and red onion, plus a good dressing. If you want to make my favorite easy lemon pepper vinaigrette (it's SO good!), you will need lemon, extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.
🔪 How to make pear and walnut salad
First, prepare the salad. Wash the leafy greens, and shake to remove the majority of the water from them. Place the leaves in a salad bowl.
Finely slice the pears and red onions, and add them to the bowl with the leafy greens. Add walnut pieces on top. Mix the salad together.
In a small bowl, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground pepper. Stir to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
🥗 Serving suggestions
Here's how I like to serve walnut and pear salad:
- With roast meat. Honey glazed roast chicken or lemon chicken are both excellent with this light side salad.
- With fish. This is perfect especially paired with white fish. Serve it with lemon butter cod, or cod wrapped in prosciutto.
- With a dressing. I love to make an easy lemon pepper vinaigrette for this salad.
- As a main course. Turn this side salad into an entree by adding blue cheese and bacon or shredded chicken.
🍲 Storing leftovers
Leftover pear and walnut salad can be stored in a refridgerator for up to 3 days. The leafy greens tends to wilt quicker if they are covered in liquid, so store the salad and dressing separately if possible.
🍴 You might also like these recipes..
If you love easy side salads, you should try any of these recipes:
📋 Frequently asked questions
Is this recipe suitable for my dietary requirements? - Pear and walnut salad is dairy free, egg free, gluten free, soy free and generally allergy friendly. It is also suitable for most diets, including weight watchers, slimming world, whole30, paleo, and low calorie. It is also vegan!
Can I use frozen pears? - I would not recommend it. Salads are generally better using fresh ingredients!
Can I replace the walnuts? - Absolutely. Feel free to use other nuts such as pecans instead.
Pear and Walnut Salad
- 2 pears
- 4 handfuls mixed leafy greens
- ½ red onion
- ⅓ cup walnut pieces
Lemon Pepper Dressing
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- First, prepare the salad. Wash the leafy greens, and shake to remove the majority of the water from them. Place the leaves in a salad bowl.
- Finely slice the pears and red onions, and add them to the bowl with the leafy greens. Add walnut pieces on top. Mix the salad together.
- In a small bowl, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground pepper. Stir to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.