This easy chicken broccoli pasta is a quick and delicious meal that you can prepare in only 15 minutes. Perfect for weeknight dinners, meal prep and more!
Why you'll love it
- Quick and easy chicken pasta
- Easy to customize
- Healthy, lean and low calorie
- Kid approved
- Inexpensive and easily available ingredients
Chicken: I prefer chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken thighs if you wish. If you want to use frozen chicken, you have to defrost it first.
Broccoli: The main vegetable! I used a medium head of broccoli, but any size will work. You can also buy broccoli florets.
Onion + garlic: Add flavor to the dish. Can be omitted if needed.
Pasta: Use your favorite short type of pasta, like rotini, fusilli or penne.
Cheese: Any shredded cheese will work. Cheddar is great, as it pairs well with broccoli, but you can also use mozzarella or your favorite shredded cheese mix.
Seasoning: We season the dish with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Red pepper flakes are optional, and add a little spice to the dish. You can also use any dried herbs or seasoning that you like.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
One: Dice chicken, onion and garlic, and sauté these in a pan along with the seasoning. Cook until the chicken is done, then set aside.
Two: Meanwhile, boil pasta according to the package instructions. Add broccoli florets during the last few minutes of cooking.
Three: Discard the majority of the cooking water from the pasta. Add chicken and shredded cheese to the pot, and stir to combine.
- Be careful not to overcook the chicken. It only needs a few minutes in a hot pan.
- The cooking time for the pasta will vary depending on which type you use. Read the package instructions for more information.
- To make the dish more filling, you can use whole wheat pasta.
- If you prefer to add a classic pasta sauce, try my Healthy Spaghetti Sauce.
- I like to keep some hot pasta water in the dish, as this helps the cheese melt better.
Broccoli and chicken pasta is best served as an entree for lunch or dinner. Here are some of my favorite side dishes to serve it with:
- Bread: Chilli Cheese Toast, Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Salad: Lemon Kale Salad, Olive Salad, Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Vegetables: Air Fryer Mushrooms, Spicy Roasted Carrots, Za'atar Roasted Eggplant
Spicy chicken pasta: Add extra red pepper flakes, or diced fresh chili. You can also garnish the dish with red pepper flakes on top.
High protein: Use high protein pasta, like chickpea pasta.
Gluten free: Make sure to use certified gluten free pasta. There are lots of options out there, like chickpea pasta or black bean pasta.
Store leftover pasta with chicken and broccoli in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can reheat it on the stove, or in a microwave, and serve it warm.
The leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost, and reheat before serving. Keep in mind that the pasta can become extra soft after freezing.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! This dish works perfectly with fresh or frozen broccoli florets.
Yes. Combine the ingredients, including cooked pasta in a casserole dish, and top with shredded cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the broccoli and chicken is cooked, and the cheese is golden on top.
You might also like these recipes
- Chicken and Chorizo Pasta
- Kielbasa Pasta
- Roasted Tomato Pasta
- Salmon and Creme Fraiche Pasta
- Garlic Basil Pasta
- Chicken and Pesto Pasta
Chicken Broccoli Pasta
- Boil the pasta in water according to the package instructions. When the pasta is almost done, add broccoli florets and cook them together until the broccoli has softened.
- Meanwhile, dice onion, garlic and chicken.
- Heat up the oil in a skillet or frying pan on medium to high heat, and add the chicken, onion, garlic and all seasoning. Sauté for a few minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Set it aside.
- When the pasta is done, discard the majority of the pasta water, but leave a little in the pot. Add the chicken and onions, as well as shredded cheese to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add any extra seasoning to taste, and serve.
- Store in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove, or in a microwave. This recipe is excellent for meal prep!