If you're looking for a simple, but delicious dinner, baked Italian sausage might be the answer. Italian sausage tastes amazing and is incredibly easy to prepare, which makes it perfect for easy weeknight dinners.
There are so many ways to prepare sausages, but cooking Italian sausage in the oven must be one of my favorite methods. It's way less messy than cooking the sausages in a skillet, and no fancy kitchen appliances are needed (if you prefer using appliances, you should check out my air fryer sausage recipe!).
Preheat your oven to 350 F / 180 C / 160 C fan oven. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat, and place the sausages on top.
Bake the Italian sausages in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden. For an even cooking result, you can turn the sausages halfway through the cooking time, however this is not necessary.
Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the sausages are 160 F / 71 C. Remove them from the oven, and serve.
💡 TIP! These instructions can be used to bake any type of pork or chicken sausages of the same size.
- For food safety purposes you should always check the internal temperature of the sausages with a meat thermometer. They are ready to eat when they reach a temperature of 160 F / 71 C.
- If you prefer your sausages more cooked, with a deep brown color and char, you can simply add a few minutes to the cooking time and leave them in the oven until they are just how you like them.
Browse my collection of healthy pork dinner recipes for more tasty meal ideas.
Sausages can be enjoyed for any meal of the day. Some like them for breakfast, but others prefer to enjoy them for lunch or dinner. Regardless of how you like them, here are some great suggestions for how you can serve them:
- Smashed Egg on Toast - Serve the sausages with some smashed egg on toast for a filling, hearty breakfast.
- Caramelized onions - Top the sausages with a good amount of caramelized onions. The combination of these flavors is amazing!
- Tuscan Bean Soup - Dice some baked Italian sausage, and add it to this hearty bean soup.
- Mexican Potatoes - Crispy roasted potatoes go incredibly well with baked sausages.
- Healthy Spaghetti Sauce - Boil some spaghetti, make some sauce, and bake some sausages for a simple but tasty weeknight dinner.
Sheet pan dinner: Add some vegetables such as sliced carrots, peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, green beans or asparagus to the roasting tray with the sausages. The vegetables will cook together with the sausage, to make a really simple sheet pan dinner. For more ideas, check out my Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies.
Sausages with sauce: If you like to cook sausages in a sauce, you can either pour the sauce over the sausages when they have about 10 minutes left to cook. The sauce and sausages will then finish cooking together in the oven. You can also make a sauce on the stove top, and simply add the baked sausages to the sauce to serve.
You can store leftover Italian sausages for up to four days in a sealed container in a refrigerator, or freeze them for up to three months.
You can cook a big batch of sausages at the same time, and use them in multiple meals through the week to save yourself some time. The cooked sausages can be enjoyed as is, or diced and added to a variety of dishes such as soups or casseroles later in the week.
To reheat the Italian sausages, you can bake them in an oven, cook them in and air fryer, or even just microwave them for a few minutes until they are hot throughout.
Frequently asked questions
Make sure to follow the instructions to ensure that the sausages are juicy and tender. Overcooked sausages tend to be dry and unpleasant to eat.
You don't have to prick the sausages when you bake them in the oven. This will only make the sausages dry and flavorless.
You might also like these recipes
- Sausage Meatballs
- Air Fryer Brats
- Sausage and Bean Stew
- Spicy Sausage Pasta
- Cheese and Onion Sausage Rolls
- Broccoli Sausage Casserole
- Air Fryer Sausage
Baked Italian Sausage
- 6 Italian sausages
- ½ teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F / 180 C / 160 C fan oven.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat, and place the sausages on top. You can also rub olive oil on a baking sheet if you don't have a baking mat or foil.
- Bake the Italian sausages in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden. For an even cooking result, you can turn the sausages halfway through the cooking time, however this is not necessary.
- Use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the sausages are 160 F / 71 C. Remove them from the oven, and serve.
- Store leftover sausages in a refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- If you prefer your sausages more cooked, you can add a few more minutes to allow them to develop a deep brown color.