Make your own copycat Nandos spicy rice with this simple recipe. Just as good as the original, and easier to make than you might think. This is the perfect rice to serve with any entree, such as grilled chicken, wraps or ribs.
Learning how to make your favorite takeaway dishes at home is a great way to save money. Nandos spicy rice is a popular side dish, and with good reason. This yellow turmeric rice with peas and red pepper is flavorful, colorful and a great accompaniment to most entrees.
This dish is almost just as easy as cooking plain white rice, and most of the ingredients are considered pantry staples. Pair this with homemade peri peri chicken and air fryer corn on the cob for a delicious and easy fakeaway.
Why you'll love it
- Easy to make
- Cheaper than getting a takeaway
- Super customizable
- Flavorful rice recipe
- Pairs perfectly with a variety of entrees
Rice: Use long grain rice, like Basmati rice.
Onion + garlic: Added for flavor.
Seasoning: Paprika, turmeric and red pepper flakes add amazing flavor to the rice.
Frozen peas + bell pepper: Add a pop of color, and improves the texture of the dish. I highly recommend keeping the vegetables in, as they add a lot of interest to the dish.
Chicken stock: I prefer this to water, as it carries more flavor. You can also use vegetable stock to make the rice vegan.
You can find full instructions + ingredient measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
One: Sauté diced onion in a little oil on medium heat.
Two: Add diced peppers, finely diced garlic and seasoning to the pot, and sauté for another minute.
Three: Add washed rice and chicken stock, and stir to combine the ingredients. Cover the pot with a lid, and bring the rice to a boil. Allow it to boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn the heat completely off, and leave the rice to steam in the hot water, still covered with a lid. After 10 minutes, the rice will have absorbed all liquid.
Four: Lastly, add the frozen peas. Cover with a lid, and leave them to sit in the warm rice for about 2 minutes. The peas will thaw, and the dish is ready to serve.
- Make sure to sauté the ingredients as instructed. This makes a huge difference to bringing out the flavor of the seasoning.
- When you turn off the heat, make sure to leave the pot to sit on the surface as it's still hot.
- Leave the lid on the rice while it absorbs the chicken stock. The trapped steam cooks the rice to perfection every time.
- You can substitute the bell pepper and peas with other veggies if you like, or omit them if you prefer.
Nando's spicy rice is best served as a side dish for lunch or dinner, paired with your favorite entree. Here are some of my favorite recipes to make with it:
- Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Pan Fried Hake
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Peri Peri Chicken (Homemade Nandos)
Other types of rice: If you want to use other rice types, like brown rice, you have to adjust the amount of water used, as well as the cooking time. Refer to the label on the rice packaging for more information.
Other veggies: Replace the bell pepper or frozen peas with corn, diced carrots, sugar snap peas, leeks or any other vegetables that you like. Feel free to use whatever you have at the back of your fridge!
Leftover Nandos spicy rice can be stored in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in a microwave, or in a pot on the stove top before serving.
You can serve the leftover rice as a side dish for future meals, or use it in burritos, rice bowls, casseroles or other dishes.
Frequently asked questions
Spice up boiled rice by adding seasoning like turmeric, chili or cumin, along with garlic or onion.
Nando's spicy rice is boiled white rice seasoned with turmeric, and cooked with onions, peas and peppers.
You might also like these recipes
- Instant Pot Pork Chops and Rice
- Carrot Rice
- Dill Rice
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Turmeric Rice
- Tuna Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Pesto Rice
- Vegetarian Kimchi Fried Rice
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
Nando's Spicy Rice
- Dice onion and bell pepper. Finely grate or dice the garlic.
- Heat up the olive oil in a pot on the stove top on medium heat.
- Add onion to the pot, and sauté for a few minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, seasoning and peppers to the pot. Sauté for a further minute.
- Wash the rice under running water, and add it to the pot along with the chicken stock.
- Cover the pot with a lid, and bring the rice to a boil. Leave it to boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn the heat completely off. Leave the pot to sit on the warm surface for about 10 minutes. The rice will cook in the steam.
- Add frozen peas to the rice, and stir to combine. Cover with a lid, and leave for 1-2 minutes. The peas will thaw.
- Optionally, season the rice with salt and pepper, then serve.
- Substitute chicken stock with vegetable stock for a vegan version of the dish.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.