Make your favorite takeaway at home with this Instant Pot cilantro lime rice recipe. This copycat Chipotle's cilantro lime rice is easier to make than ever before in your pressure cooker.
Why you'll love it
- Make your favorite takeaway side dish at home.
- It's simple to cook perfect rice in the Instant Pot. No risk of over- or undercooked rice.
- The Instant Pot will turn itself off when the rice has cooked, so you don't have to worry about burning it.
- Add cilantro and lime to suit your preferences. This recipe is really easy to adjust.
💡 TIP! I use an Instant Pot, but this recipe should work with any pressure cooker.
For this simple recipe, you will only need a handful of ingredients.
Long-grain rice: Use long grain rice, ideally Basmati rice. Brown rice or shorter rice types will not work well in this recipe.
Water: Water is the main cooking liquid used. For added flavor, you can use vegetable stock or chicken broth instead.
Cilantro + lime: These add flavor to the rice.
Vegetable oil: Keeps the rice from getting dry. Can be substituted with butter, or olive oil.
Browse my collection of Instant Pot side dishes for more dinner inspiration.
- Prepare the rice: Rinse the rice under cold water.
- Cook the rice: Add the rice, water and vegetable oil to an Instant Pot. Cover with the lid, turn the valve to sealing, and cook on MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on high pressure for 10 minutes. Turn the valve to quickly release the steam immediately after the rice is done cooking.
- Add the add-ins: Add lime zest, lime juice and chopped cilantro to the rice. Use a fork or spoon to fluff the rice and combine with the add-ins.
- Serve: Serve the rice immediately with your favorite entrees.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe to make a big batch of rice, but make sure to maintain the water to rice ratio.
- When adding the rice to the water, make sure that every rice grain is submerged in the water, rather than sticking to the side of the Instant Pot. This helps the rice cook properly.
Instant pot cilantro lime rice is best served as a side dish for lunch or dinner. Pair it with your favorite Mexican or Tex Mex entree, such as grilled meat, tacos, or any of these recipes:
- Cajun Chicken Wings - These crispy chicken wings pair incredibly well with cilantro lime rice.
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs - These juicy chicken thighs are packed with flavor, and easy to make.
- Potato Tacos - Amazing tacos made with seasoned potatoes.
- Ground Turkey Enchiladas - Pair your rice with these lean turkey enchiladas.
- Avocado Chicken Wraps - Add rice to these amazing chicken wraps for a filling meal.
Extra add-ins: Feel free to use any extra add-ins, such as garlic, onions, seasoning, chili and more. These are great ways to change the flavor of the rice, and to adjust it to suit your preferences.
With protein: Transfer this rice from a side dish to an entree by adding diced or shredded cooked meat, or legumes after cooking. Black beans, shredded chicken, tuna or pulled pork are all excellent options.
Discover more easy rice recipes in my collection of rice side dishes and entrees.
Store leftover cilantro and lime rice in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it in a microwave, and serve it warm as a side with future meals, or use it as an ingredient in other dishes like casseroles.
Rice is well suited for meal prep, as you can prepare a big batch and use it for multiple meals through the week. You can also cook a large amount of plain rice in your instant pot, and add different flavors to suit different meals.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, however I recommend adding these after cooking the rice instead. The flavors will then taste a lot more fresh.
No. This recipe only works if you use long grain white rice, such as Basmati.
You might also like these recipes
- Instant Pot Asparagus
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Instant Pot Broccoli
- Turmeric Rice
- Pesto Rice
- Carrot Rice
- Dill Rice
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime (zest + juice)
- Rinse the rice under cold water to get rid of any excess starch.
- Add the rice, water and vegetable oil to an Instant Pot. Cover with the lid, turn the valve to sealing, and cook on MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Turn the valve to quickly release the steam immediately after the rice is done cooking.
- Add lime zest, lime juice and chopped cilantro to the rice. Use a fork or spoon to fluff the rice and combine with the add-ins.
- Serve the rice immediately with your favorite entrees.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in a microwave, and serve warm.