Juicy chicken with lots of flavour and perfectly cooked pasta are the highlights in this one pan lemon chicken with orzo recipe. Cooking it all in one pot means that there’s minimal washing up to do. The orzo will absorb a lot of good flavour from the chicken, as it cooks in the same pan, making the dish anything but boring.
Lemon chicken with orzo is a great weeknight meal that’s made in less than 30 minutes. We use few, but carefully chosen ingredients to really bring out all the good flavours. This Mediterranean dish will be loved by the entire family – it’s interesting enough to be enjoyed by adults, and mild enough to be loved by kids.
The ingredients you will need
Although this recipe is simple to make, there is no way that we will accept less than amazing ingredients. Here is what you need to make the best one pan lemon chicken with orzo:
- [amazon text=Orzo&asin=B00C9FKC6Q] – delicious pasta that looks like grains of rice.
- Chicken breast fillets. These lean pieces of chicken cook quickly in a cast iron pan.
- Parsley, oregano and thyme – united these guys create a lovely Mediterranean herb blend that’s perfect for chicken
- Lemon. This bring the flavour of the dish to the next level.
- Chicken stock, or water with a [amazon text=stock cube&asin=B076KMKJV1]. Adds way more flavour than just cooking pasta in salted water.
How to make one pan lemon chicken with orzo
How to use orzo
Orzo is a type of pasta. It is cooked the same way as any type of pasta, and it tasted the same as spaghetti would. Since pieces of orzo are very small, they cook a lot faster than other variations of pasta. In this dish we chose to cook the orzo in the same pan as we used to cook the chicken. This will allow the orzo to absorb the flavours from the chicken and herb blend.
You can also use orzo in place of rice in any rice based dish. Check out my other orzo recipes for more inspiration.
What to serve with lemon chicken with orzo
How to store leftover chicken and orzo
You can safely store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until piping hot throughout. You can also safely freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen lemon chicken with orzo in the fridge overnight, then reheat it in the microwave.
More delicious and easy chicken dinners:
- Cauliflower rice and chicken casserole
- Cashew chicken stir fry
- Walnut crusted chicken
- Moroccan chicken and couscous skillet
Lemon chicken with orzo
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan or cast iron skillet. Add finely minced garlic and saute for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add chicken cut into large chunks, and season with parsley, oregano, thyme and salt. Sear until the pieces are browned on all sides, and until the chicken has cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan, and set it aside.
- Add the orzo to the pan, and pour over the chicken stock. Squeeze over the juice of half a lemon, and slice the other half of the lemon. Add the slices to the pan. Leave the orzo to cook until it has completely cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces back on top of the orzo and serve.