Boulangere potatoes is a delicious potato side dish that's really easy to make. Thinly sliced potatoes are baked in seasoning and vegetable stock. Serve it with any of your favorite entrees for a simple and filling dinner.
Why you'll love it
- A great potato side dish
- Perfect if you want to try something new
- Mild flavor, perfect for kids
- Pairs perfectly with a variety of entrees
- Really easy to make
- Only requires a handful ingredients
Potatoes: Floury potatoes are best for this recipe. Use potatoes that you would normally use to make french fries or roasted potatoes, like Desiree, Maris Piper or King Edward.
Vegetable stock: Use any stock or broth. I like vegetable stock, but chicken stock or beef stock also works well, particularly if you're serving the potatoes with chicken or beef.
Shallots: Shallots are small, mild onions. You can also use a regular onion.
This simple dish can be made with only a few steps.
The key part to this recipe is to peel the potatoes, and slice them into very thin slices. You can use a sharp knife, but you might find that slicing them with a vegetable peel or food processor is much easier.
Bake the boulangere potatoes in the oven at 400 F or 200 C for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Use a fork to make sure that the top potatoes are crispy, and the bottom potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- If you don't have fresh thyme, you can use dried thyme or any other herb that you like.
- Make sure to slice the potatoes very thinly for a good result.
- The exact cooking time will vary depending on how thick the potato slices are. Make sure to keep an eye on them.
This easy potato recipe is the perfect healthy side dish that pairs with any entree. Boulangere potatoes are particularly great for a traditional steak dinner, or a Sunday roast. Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve it with:
- Beef: Roast Topside of Beef, Air Fryer Steak
- Chicken: Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs, Honey Glazed Roast Chicken, Honey Mustard Chicken Breasts
- Pork: Instant Pot Pork Roast, Air Fryer Pork Roast, Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin, Instant Pot Ham
Cheesy boulangere potatoes: To make the dish cheesy, you can top the potatoes with shredded cheese for the last 15 or 20 minutes of the cooking time.
Mixed vegetables: Layer the sliced potatoes with other sliced root vegetables, like beetroot, parsnips, swede, turnip, sweet potatoes or carrots. This will make the dish a lot more flavorful and colorful, and is an easy way to add more vegetables to your meal.
Store leftover boulangere potatoes in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can reheat the potatoes in a microwave or oven and serve them warm. Alternatively, repurpose them in a different dish like soups, casseroles and more.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! You can reheat the potatoes in a microwave, or in the oven at 400 F / 200 C. This dish tastes just as good the next day, so make sure to enjoy the leftovers.
You can slice potatoes thinly by using a sharp knife. However, using a food processor or vegetable peeler can make the job much easier.
You might also like these recipes
- Whipped Potatoes
- Parmentier Potatoes
- Mexican Potatoes
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Spiralized Potatoes
- Honey Roasted Potatoes
If you make this recipe, make sure to post a photo to Instagram with #hintofhealthy!
- Casserole Dish
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 5 shallots (or 1 onion)
- 5 sprigs thyme
- Preheat your oven to 400 F / 200 C.
- Peel and wash the potatoes, then slice the potatoes thinly. You can do this with a knife, food processor, or a vegetable peeler.
- Finely dice the shallots or onion.
- Rub olive oil in the bottom of a casserole dish. Add a layer of sliced potatoes, and sprinkle some diced shallots and thyme over the top. Repeat until all the potatoes are layered (about 3-4 layers).
- Pour vegetable stock over the potatoes. The stock should almost reach the top of the potatoes, but not quite.
- Bake the potatoes for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top potatoes are golden and crispy, and the bottom potatoes are cooked through.
- Store leftover boulangere potatoes in a sealed container for up to 4 days. Reheat them in a microwave or oven, or repurpose the cooked potatoes in another dish like a soup or salad.