Whipped coffee, or Dalgona coffee, is a Korean coffee drink that's recently become extremely popular. The coffee is whipped to a fluffy, cloudy consistency, and added on top of hot or cold milk for a delicious drink.
This drink has been all over social media at the start of 2020, and with good reason. Not only is Dalgona coffee extremely impressive looking, it's also really easy to make and tastes great. After trying it, I'm excited to say that it's really as easy as it looks like, and it totally works!
If you love this, you might also want to try my Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte!
The basic ingredients in this recipe are the following: instant coffee, or coffee powder, boiling water, sugar or sweetener, and milk. I use almond milk, but any type of milk will work.
This recipe could not be easier to make! Add coffee granulates, sugar and boiling water to a mixing bowl. Use an electric whisk to whip it until the coffee is fluffy.
To make this iced coffee version of Dalgona coffee, add cold milk and ice cubes to a glass. Add the fluffy whipped coffee on top. Optionally, serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon over the top. Use a straw or spoon to gently combine the coffee with the milk as you drink it.
Prefer hot coffee drinks? Serve the whipped coffee over hot milk for a delicious warming beverage.
You can use any instant coffee to make whipped coffee. Choose a standard black coffee, espresso granulates, or a flavored version with hazelnut, mocha or coconut.
It has to be instant coffee, however. Ground coffee made to be used with coffee makers or a French press will not work.
💭 Top tips
Here's my best tips to get this recipe perfect:
- Use an electic whisk if possible. It takes a few minutes to get the coffee to the right consistency, and whisking it by hand could take up to 20 minutes - ouch!
- Use flavored instant coffee if you wish. There are so many tasty options out there, including hazelnut, vanilla, caramel, chocolate, cookie dough, toffee and gingerbread flavors.
- I make this recipe with almond milk, but you can use whatever milk you prefer.
Whipped coffee will keep its texture for up to an hour. I highly suggest serving it immediately after making it.
This recipe is enough for 1 serving (or 2 if you only want to use a little coffee), but the recipe can be doubled or tripled if you need to make multiple servings.
🍴 You might also like these recipes..
If you love tasty drinks, try any of these recipes:
📋 Frequently asked questions
What type of sugar can I use in Dalgona coffee? - Use regular granulated sugar, or caster sugar. You can also use stevia or coconut sugar as a healthier alternative.
How does Dalgona coffee work? - Coffee has a natural foaming quality (you might have noticed some crema or froth on your coffee in your past), and instant coffee enhances this quality. The sugar helps stabilize the froth and keeps it fluffy for longer (similar to how whisking sugar with eggs creates a fluffy egg froth used in baking).
Can I make whipped coffee with chocolate milk? - Yes! In fact, you should try making it with chocolate milk. It's delicious.
Iced Dalgona Coffee (Whipped Coffee)
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon boiling water
- ½ glass almond milk (or cow's milk, oat milk or soy milk)
- ice cubes
- Add coffee granulates, sugar and boiling water to a mixing bowl. Use an electric whisk to whisk it until the coffee is fluffy.
- Add cold milk and ice cubes to a glass, filling the glass a little over halfway. Add the fluffy whipped coffee on top.
- Use a straw or spoon to gently combine the coffee with the milk as you drink it.