This hot lemon and ginger drink is the best way to fight off a cold. Using fresh lemon and ginger, with the optional addition of honey, this drink requires little preparation and is packed with good stuff to warm you right up.
Homemade lemon and ginger tea
Lemon and ginger tea has always been one of my favourites. Luckily, with this recipe, you can make it even when you run out of tea bags. All you need is your kettle, fresh lemon and ginger, which happen to be pantry staples at my house. This drink is a great way to stay hydrated, and provides many health benefits.
- Lemon - Fresh lemon contains vitamin C and has many health benefits.
- Ginger - Has a proven track record of fighting nausea and colds.
- Hot water - I boil mine in an electric kettle.
- Optionally honey - Contains antioxidants, and adds some sweetness to the drink.
How to make hot lemon and ginger drink
To each tea cup, add 2 slices of lemon and 3 slices of fresh ginger. Don't worry about peeling the ginger. Add a little squeeze of lemon, about 1 tsp or the juice from ¼ lemon.
Fill the cup with boiling hot water, and allow it to steep for 2-3 minutes. Leave the lemon and ginger in the cup as you drink it if you like the strong flavour. You can also remove the pieces after steeping.
Optionally, add 1 tsp of honey, and stir.
The health benefits of ginger
Ginger is a common ingredient in Chinese medicine. It has anti inflammatory effects, and contains plenty of antioxidants. It's been known to prevent nausea (from motion sickness, morning sickness, sea sickness, chemotherapy sickness and more), to reduce soreness after exercise, and to treat indigestion and menstrual cramps. Check out this source for more information.
Ginger is a widely available and affordable food item with many known beneficial effects, and no known negative effects when eaten in moderation. It's therefore a great spice to consume regularly. This hot lemon and ginger drink is a great place to start.
Frequently asked questions
Can you make this in a teapot? Absolutely. I recommend adding the ginger and lemon slices to a filter inside the teapot, although you can add them straight into the water as well.
Can I use bottled lemon juice? Yes. Add a teaspoon to each cup, stir to combine then add more to taste.
Hot lemon and ginger drink
- ½ lemon
- 1 cm fresh ginger
- boiling water
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- To each tea cup, add 2 slices of lemon and 3 slices of fresh ginger. Don’t worry about peeling the ginger. Add a little squeeze of lemon, about 1 tsp or the juice from ¼ lemon.
- Fill the cup with boiling hot water, and allow it to steep for 2-3 minutes. Leave the lemon and ginger in the cup as you drink it if you like the strong flavour. You can also remove the pieces after steeping.
- Optionally, add 1 tsp of honey, and stir.