This creamy chicken and leek risotto is a fantastic entree. It's thick and hearty, and made in only 30 minutes. A great alternative for a weeknight dinner.
Why you'll love it
- It's super creamy
- Risotto is much easier to make than you think
- With leek and thyme, it's a great dish for spring
- Simple one pot dinner
Browse my collection of rice recipes for more meal inspiration.
Leek: Use frozen sliced leek, or raw leeks.
Chicken: Use chicken breasts, or boneless skinless chicken thighs. If you have frozen chicken, make sure to thaw it before use.
Arborio rice: Arborio is a short grain type of rice, commonly known as risotto rice. Using the correct type of rice is very important to achieve the right texture. Don't substitute for long grain rice types, such as brown rice, Basmati or Jasmine.
Chicken broth: Chicken broth or vegetable stock will both work well. You can also use hot water with two chicken stock cubes.
Thyme: I like to use dried thyme as it gives the dish a lot of flavor. Can be substituted with Italian seasoning, or you can use fresh thyme instead.
Parmesan: Grated Parmesan adds flavor and creaminess to the dish.
Garlic: Added for extra flavor.
Olive oil: Use olive oil, vegetable oil or butter to sauté the leek.
💡 TIP! The trick to a creamy risotto is to stir it continuously. Make sure to set aside enough time to pay the dish enough attention.
- Prepare the ingredients: Slice the leek, grate or finely dice the garlic, and cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Sauté the leek: Heat up olive oil or melted butter in a pot, and sauté the leek and garlic on medium to low heat for a few minutes until it's soft.
- Cook the chicken: Add the chicken to the leek, and sauté for a few minutes. The chicken should be white on the surface, but not completely cooked through.
- Add the rice and broth: Add the rice, thyme and about a third of the chicken stock. Keep the heat on medium to low, and stir continuously. The rice will gradually absorb the liquid. When most of the liquid is absorbed, add another third of the liquid. Repeat until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir through the cheese: Add grated Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
- Sauté the chicken before adding the rice, but don't let it cook through completely, or you risk overcooking it.
- Cook the risotto on medium to low temperature for a creamy, soft result.
Risotto can be served as a side dish or as an entree. Since this recipe includes chicken, it's best enjoyed as a main for lunch or dinner. Here are some excellent side dishes that you could serve it with:
- Pear and Walnut Salad - A light green salad pairs really well with this hearty dish.
- Instant Pot Asparagus - Serve this spring risotto recipe with steamed asparagus.
- Air Fryer Broccoli - Roasted broccoli is a great side with any meal.
Dairy free: Omit the Parmesan to make a dairy free version.
Vegetarian: If you omit the chicken and Parmesan, and use vegetable stock instead of chicken broth, you can make a vegetarian version of the dish. The leek risotto will be perfect as a simple side dish.
You can store leftover chicken and leek risotto for up to 3 days. Reheat it in a microwave or pot for a few minutes, and serve it warm.
I don't recommend freezing risotto, as it will be quite dry after thawing.
Frequently asked questions
Technically, you can make risotto with any rice, however the result is often best if you use arborio rice.
Make risotto extra flavorful by adding herbs, seasoning, or other aromatics such as garlic and onion.
You might also like these recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Tuna Fried Rice
- Vegetarian Kimchi Fried Rice
- Egg Fried Brown Rice
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Smoked Haddock and Spinach Risotto
Chicken and Leek Risotto
- Slice the leek, grate or finely dice the garlic, and cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat up olive oil or melted butter in a pot, and sauté the leek and garlic on medium to low heat for a few minutes until it's soft.
- Add the chicken to the leek, and sauté for a few minutes. The chicken should be white on the surface, but not completely cooked through.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers for up to 3 days, and reheat them in the microwave.