These Crockpot BBQ meatballs are deliciously sticky and so easy to make. The slow cooker simplifies the process, but don’t worry – I have included stove top instructions as well. Everybody loves meatballs, and covered with warm BBQ sauce this is one of my go to appetisers.
The world’s best slow cooker BBQ meatballs only require 4 ingredients:
- Meatballs! We will need cooked meatballs. I always use this recipe, but you can buy precooked meatballs as well. If you use frozen meatballs, make sure to thaw them before adding them to your crock pot.
- BBQ sauce. Use your favourite recipe, or buy your favourite brand.
- Runny honey. This adds a little sweetness. You can omit it if you want, especially if you are using a sweet BBQ sauce.
- Red onion – this can be omitted but I think it tastes better with.
How to make bbq meatballs in crockpot
I love using my slow cooker for this recipe. I recommend using a smaller slow cooker, as they tend to be most efficient if they are full or almost full.
Make sure to thoroughly thaw the meatballs if you are using frozen meatballs. Add all the ingredients to the Crockpot and stir to combine everything. Allow them to slow cook for 2-3 hours on high, or 4-5 on low. Make sure that the inside of the Crockpot BBQ meatballs reach 75°C or 165°F before serving.
Stove top method
Saute the finely chopped red onion in a large pot until soft and translucent. If necessary, add some one calorie cooking spray to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Add the other ingredients, and cook the meatballs covered with a lid for 45-60 minutes while stirring occasionally. Perfect BBQ meatballs in no time!
What to serve with bbq meatballs
These meatballs are perfect served as appetisers or finger foods on cocktail sticks, but they can also be served as part of a main course. Serve Crockpot BBQ meatballs with garlic parmesan potato wedges, roasted green beans and a side salad, or as part of your summer BBQ with your burgers, hot dogs and potato salads.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen BBQ meatballs in the fridge overnight, then reheat them in the microwave or on the stove top until piping hot throughout.
More tasty appetisers:
- Broccoli and cheese balls
- Carrot soup with ginger
- Tomato and mozzarella salad
- Apple and parsnip soup
- Chipotle meatball appetisers
Sweet Crockpot BBQ meatballs
- 30 meatballs cooked*
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 200 ml BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp runny honey
Slow cooker / Crockpot instructions
- Add the meatballs to your slow cooker.
- Add all the other ingredients to your slow cooker or Crockpot and stir to coat the meatballs with the sauce. Slow cook for 2-3 hours on high, or 4-5 on low.
- Make sure that the inside of the meatballs reach 75°C or 165°F before serving. Serve the meatballs immediately coated in the BBQ sauce. If you want to keep them warm for a while, you can serve them in the slow cooker while keeping it on the warm setting.
Stove top instructions
- Saute the red onion for a few minutes in a large pot until soft and translucent.
- Add all the other ingredients, stir to combine, then place the lid on top. Leave it to cook on low to medium heat until they are piping hot throughout, 45-60 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the bottom from burning. Make sure that the inside of the meatballs reach 75°C or 165°F before serving.