Traditional slow cooker ratatouille is an amazing French vegetable dish that can be enjoyed on its own as a stew, or as a side dish. Packed with vegetables, ratatouille is healthy, delicious and very easy to make.
All the ingredients you need to make ratatouille:
- Eggplant (aubergine)
- Zucchini (courgette)
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Red pepper
What is ratatouille
Ratatouille is a vegetable based dish originating from France, in the Nice area. It's usually made as a one pot stew with a tomato based sauce and chunks of eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and herbs. This dish is very versatile, and can be used either as a side dish, or as a light main course.
How to make slow cooker ratatouille
Cook the ratatouille on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-6 hours. The vegetables will soften, and the ratatouille will be incredibly flavourful. Add seasoning to taste if you wish. Serve it directly while piping hot.
There are regional differences in how you serve and eat ratatouille.
If you wish to serve it as a main course, I recommend serving it with something like rice, bread or quinoa to make the meal more filling.
Leftover ratatouille can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Make a big batch, and freeze it in portion sizes for easy future meals.
Top tips & substitutions
Here is how to get this recipe perfect:
- You can omit certain vegetables if you don't like them, however the combination of courgette, aubergine, tomatoes and peppers is what really makes the classic ratatouille.
- As a rule, avoid opening the lid while the ratatouille is slow cooking. For more tips on how to use your Crockpot, see how to use a slow cooker.
Frequently asked questions
Can I add meat to this dish? - Although not traditional, you can add cooked diced beef or chicken to the slow cooker ratatouille before serving, as an easy stew.
Can I add other vegetables? - Absolutely! Fresh or dried herbs, garlic and onions are traditional additions. You can also add other vegetables you like, such as green beans, spinach, broccoli or sweet potatoes.
More delicious side dishes:
If you like this ratatouille, you might like these as well:
- Creamy slow cooker mashed potatoes - These mashed potatoes are so easy, so creamy and so delicious.
- Oven roasted green beans - perfect green beans are the ideal side dish for any meal.
- Honey roasted parsnips - a classic British side dish that deserves its good reputation.
Slow cooker ratatouille
- 200 g eggplant
- 200 g zucchini
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (400 g)
- Dice the vegetables in bite sized pieces, and add them to a slow cooker. Add the can of chopped tomatoes and thyme.
- Cook the ratatouille on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-6 hours without. Avoid removing the lid while the dish cooks. Serve it directly while piping hot.