This juicy slow cooker apricot chicken with crispy skin is in my humble opinion one of the best dishes you can make in your slow cooker. And it's so easy!
This easy chicken recipe only requires 3 ingredients!
- Chicken thighs - with bones and skins for the best result.
- Apricot jam - sticky, sweet and delicious.
- Dried thyme - don't forget to season!
How to make slow cooker apricot chicken
Add raw chicken thighs to a slow cooker, skin side up. Use a spoon or spatula to spread the jam over the chicken thighs. Try to completely coat the surface of the skin. Sprinkle with thyme, place the lid on top and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.
Tips & substitutions
Here are my best tips to get this recipe perfect.
- Avoid removing the lid while the chicken is cooking, as this causes the slow cooker to loose a lot of heat. Doing this will increase the cooking time.
- If you use any other cut of chicken, like boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, this might change the cooking time.
- Always use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 75 C / 165 F before serving it.
- For more tips, learn how to use a slow cooker.
You can store leftover apricot chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Alternatively, it can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Keep in mind that the chicken skin might not be as crispy after storing it. If you don't appreciate the texture of leftover chicken skin, you can discard the skins and bones, and shred the leftover apricot chicken. Use shredded chicken in sandwiches, salads, casseroles and more.
I love serving slow cooker apricot chicken with a light and easy side dish. Lemon and garlic rice, Pasta salad with roasted brussels sprouts and bacon, or sweet potato fries are all excellent options.
More slow cooker chicken recipes
Browse all slow cooker chicken recipes, or try one of these:
- Slow cooker chicken adobo - Tender chicken thighs flavoured with a Filipino style soy sauce and vinegar marinade.
- Slow cooker lemon chicken - Mediterranean inspired chicken thighs with lemon and herbs.
- Slow cooker chicken taco soup - This delicious taco soup is packed with beautiful flavours and shredded chicken.
Apricot chicken in the slow cooker
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Add the chicken thighs to a slow cooker, skin side up
- Use the back of a spoon or a spatula to spread the jam over the chicken thighs, try to cover the entire surface of the skin*
- Sprinkle the thyme over the chicken, again trying to cover the whole surface
- Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours, and serve.
Apricot and thyme are a match made in heaven. I love using my slow cooker in the summer and I think this'll be my next recipe! Thanks for the great inspiration
You're very welcome! The flavors are fantastic together 🙂
Oh boy, I bet this tastes delicious!! I can smell it from here (almost). Slow cooker meals are my fav and your recipe sounds delicious. I love the simple 3 ingredient recipe!
It's such an easy and tasty dish! This slow cooker apricot chicken must be one of my favorite recipes ever.
I definitely don't use my slow cooker enough - but you have inspired me to get it out of the cupboard and make this lovely dish,. Delicious 🙂
Oh you really should! It's such a time saver. This dish is definitely a great place to start.
I love the combination of fruit and meat so this apricot chicken looks perfect - and super easy - to me! The thyme is a great way to add flavour too 🙂
Fruit and meat is so underappreciated! 🙂
I love making chicken with fruits - they add so much to the overall flavor! And apricot is one of the best to use. The meat is tender and so juicy - can't wait to try your recipe!
I agree! Enjoy 🙂