22 Oct Orzo salad with spinach, feta and lemon
This healthy orzo salad with spinach, feta and lemon is a refreshing side dish, or a hearty, light main course. The Mediterranean flavors pair incredibly well, and the salad is made in less han 15 minutes.
The ingredients we need for this orzo salad
Orzo: A type of pasta that’s shaped like grains of rice. It tastes just like any regular pasta, but the shape is absolutely perfect for dishes like salad. Orzo has to be boiled in water, and you can either start the recipe by cooking it, or use precooked orzo. You could also replace this in the recipe with any other pasta shape, like macaroni, fusilli or penne.
Spinach: Fresh spinach is great in pasta salads. Super healthy, and a favorite leafy green in our house. The flavor is well known for being complimentary to feta. Mixed in with warm orzo, the spinach wilts down slightly – super delicious!
Feta cheese: Creamy, crumbly, Greek cheese that again fits the other flavors in this dish perfectly. Crumble the feta straight into the salad for Greek perfection.
Lemon juice: This dish has no dressing. Instead, we add lemon juice for the flavor and a bit of liquid.
How to make orzo salad with spinach, feta and lemon
Cook the orzo according to package instructions. It is cooked like regular pasta – in water for about 10 minutes. When it has finished cooking, drain off the water and place the orzo in a salad bowl. Add spinach to the warm orzo and stir to combine. The spinach will wilt down slightly. Crumble the feta cheese into the salad, and add the juice from half a lemon. Stir to combine all of the ingredients, and serve.
What is orzo?
Orzo is a type of pasta. It’s shaped like grains or rice, only slightly larger in size. You typically find it in the pasta aisle in most grocery stores. Orzo is often used in soups, salads or other situations that call for small sized pasta. It can also be used in most recipes that call for macaroni, as the orzo is almost the same size.
What to serve with orzo salad with spinach and feta
More tasty salads
- Greek pasta salad with feta and spinach
- Mediterranean chickpea salad
- Chicken and mango salad
- Quinoa spinach feta and tomato salad
- Kale salad with apples and cranberries + tahini dressing
- Tuna bulgur salad with chickpeas
Orzo salad with spinach, feta and lemon
- 200 g orzo
- 100 g feta cheese
- large handful spinach
- juice from half a lemon
- Cook the orzo following package instructions. Drain off the water, then add it to a salad bowl.
- Ad spinach, crumbled feta and lemon juice to the salad bowl. Stir to combine everything thoroughly before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- This recipe makes 4 portions as a side dish, or 2 portions if served as a main course.
- If using cold, precooked orzo, you should chop the spinach before adding it, as it will not wilt down.