This creamy, hearty white chicken chili is a fantastic dish with shredded chicken, cream and white beans. Make it on the stove top or in your slow cooker, and enjoy!
- Chicken breast fillets - lean pieces of chicken that are easy to cook and easy to shred.
- Cream cheese - makes the chili creamy, filling and delicious.
- Cannellini beans - thick and creamy butter beans add protein, fiber and lovely flavour.
- Frozen sweetcorn - or use drained tinned sweetcorn if you prefer.
- Onion, garlic, green chili - adds plenty of flavour.
How to make white chicken chili
Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat, and add finely chopped onion, chili and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the chicken breasts and vegetable stock to the pot, cover with a lid and leave it to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken breast has cooked through.
Remove the chicken fillets from the pot. Place them on a chopping board, and use two forks to pull or shred the chicken.
Add the shredded chicken back to the pot, along with frozen sweetcorn, cream cheese and drained and rinsed cannellini beans. Leave the chili to cook for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to develop, then add some salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Slow cooker method
You can make this dish in your slow cooker as well! Dump all the ingredients except the cream cheese in your Crockpot, and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low for 4-6 hours. Remove the chicken, shred it and add it back along with the cream cheese. Give the white chicken chili a good stir, and serve it immediately.
Additional addins and substitutions
If you're looking to change this recipe, consider adding the following ingredients:
- Peppers - These are always lovely in a chili, and will add some colour to the dish.
- Aubergine - Slightly controversial chili ingredient, but I promise it works really well with the other flavours.
- Other cuts of chicken - I like to use chicken breasts as they cook fast and are very lean, but you can use other cuts of chicken like drumsticks or chicken thighs. If using chicken with bones and skins, remove these when you shred it.
Leftover chicken chili can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I would not recommend freezing this dish, as the cream cheese can separate after thawing it.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop before serving.
Serve white chicken chili topped with fresh chili, coriander, avocado slices, lime wedges or nacho chips.
Alternatively, you can also serve it with some crusty bread to scoop up the good sauces.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use leftover shredded chicken for this recipe? - Absolutely! Add all the ingredients including cooked, shredded chicken to a large pot and cook for 10 minutes for a quick and easy version of this recipe.
More hearty stews and bowls
- Slow cooker chili con carne - A traditional chili with minced beef, slow cooked to perfection.
- Chicken and aubergine curry - This flavourful curry is really easy to make, and tastes as good as it looks.
- Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup - Hearty and easy soup with chicken and sweetcorn.
White chicken chili
- 3 large chicken breast fillets
- 1 onion
- 1 green chili
- 2 garlic cloves
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 150 g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 tin cannellini beans (400 g)
- 150 g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat, and add finely chopped onion, chili and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken breasts and vegetable stock to the pot, cover with a lid and leave it to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken breast has cooked through.
- Remove the chicken fillets from the pot. Place them on a chopping board, and use two forks to pull or shred the chicken.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot, along with frozen sweetcorn, cream cheese and drained and rinsed cannellini beans.
- Leave the chili to cook for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and optionally some chili powder if you want to make it spicy.
Thank you so much for sharing with us.
This look so fresh and delecious.
Thank you, Mohan! Let me know if you try it 🙂
I love the hearty creaminess of white chili and have yet to make it for myself! You make it seem so easy can't wait to try it out!
It is honestly so easy! Hope you like it!
WOW! I never had chicken chili before but this recipe. Love all the flavors in there!
Thanks for the kinds words, Emmeline! Glad you enjoyed it!
I love white chili. It's just so hearty and comforting.
Me too, it's delicious!
Helen of Fuss Free Flavours
This looks like such a delicious and creamy meal, perfect for winter. Such an easy meal to make that you easily do it mid-week.
It is, Helen! Let me know if you make it 🙂
I'm always looking for recipes that I can make for a healthy dinner. This definitely fits the bill. Can't wait to try it.
Thanks, Danielle! Hope you love it 🙂
This was easy and really good. Thanks for sharing!