This slow cooker lasagna soup is creamy, cheesy, and incredibly filling. With all the good flavours of lasagna, but without all the hard work of building one, this is a recipe you will end up making again and again.
- Ground beef
- Chopped tomatoes - also sometimes called crushed tomatoes
- Tomato paste - or tomato puree
- Beef stock or stock cubes
- Lasagna sheets or other pasta
- Italian seasoning or a mix of dried herbs
- Cheese (I used mozzarella, ricotta and cheddar)
What is lasagna soup?
Lasagna soup is exactly what it sounds like - it's lasagna in the form of soup. The soup consists of a tomato based ground beef liquid with lasagna sheets, topped with cheese. It's a comforting and warming dish that's very easy to make, and incredibly popular with the whole family.
How to make lasagna soup in the slow cooker
Saute onion, garlic and ground beef in a pan, then move it to a slow cooker. Add seasoning, beef stock and diced tomatoes. Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours. 45 minutes before serving, snap the lasagna sheets into smaller pieces, and add to the soup. Pour the soup into bowls, and top with cheese and ricotta.
Storage and freezing
You can store lasagna soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Alternatively, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Defrost in the microwave, or in the fridge overnight. I recommend that you double the recipe and make a big batch, as this recipe is perfect for meal prep!
Top lasagna soup tips
- You can use dry or fresh lasagna noodles. Keep in mind that fresh noodles cook faster. If you don't have lasagna noodles, you can always use other types of pasta instead.
- Do yourself a favour and set aside 10 minutes to brown the ground beef and sautee the onions before adding the other ingredients. I promise it will taste way better!
- As with all Italian dishes, I recommend using high quality Italian chopped tomatoes
- Don't have all the herbs? Use Italian seasoning instead!
- Lasagna soup is best served with some crusty garlic bread. Yum!
Stove top method
If you don't have a crockpot at hand, don't worry, you can still make this amazing soup. Just follow the steps as suggested. Use a large pot instead of the slow cooker. Cook the soup for about 1 hour, and it should be ready to serve. I would suggest adding the lasagna noodles when there is 15-20 minutes left of the cooking time. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
The slow cooking process will enhance the flavors, and is highly recommended. Add as much cheese and ricotta as you want on top, and it's ready to serve!
You might also like these recipes
- Minced beef pasta bake
- Creamy lemon chicken pasta
- Pasta with broccoli and chicken
- Pasta with roasted tomatoes, feta and basil
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
Slow cooker lasagna soup
- 500 g ground beef I use reduced fat
- 1 tin diced tomatoes 400 g
- 400 ml water
- 3 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 beef stock cube
- 5 lasagna sheets
- 5 tablespoon ricotta
- 25 g grated mozzarella
- 25 g grated cheddar
- Heat a small teaspoon olive oil in a pan on medium heat
- Add the onion and cook 2-3 minutes until translucent
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute while stirring
- Add the ground beef, and cook for 5-6 minutes until the meat has browned through. Use a spoon or spatula to split the meat in smaller pieces, and stir occasionally.
- Add the meat and onions to the slow cooker and turn the heat off the pan.
Add the rest
- To the slow cooker, add the dried herbs and stir
- Crumble the stock cube on top
- Add the tin of diced tomatoes, including all the liquids
- Add the tomato puree
- Finally, add the water and put the lid on
- Leave the slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low heat, or 4-6 hours on high heat
45 minutes before serving
- Snap the lasagna sheets into smaller pieces, and add to the soup. Stir them into the sauce.
- Add the lid back on and wait for the pasta to cook through
- Add the soup to a bowl
- Top with cheese
- Optionally, garnish with fresh herbs