This grape and chicken salad incorporates grapes, chicken, walnuts and celery in a creamy yogurt sauce. It's a light and delicious side salad, perfect for a potluck or BBQ party.
Chicken grape and walnut salad ingredients
Chicken: Cooked, shredded chicken or two chicken breast fillets.
Grapes: Seedless, red grapes are perfect in this recipe.
Celery sticks: For delicious crunch.
Walnuts: For texture and taste. You can substitute for pecans if you prefer.
Greek yogurt: Typically this salad is made with mayonnaise, but we use Greek yogurt. It's just as tasty, just as creamy, but way healthier.
Lemon juice: A tiny bit goes a long way. This brings a lot of flavour to the grape and chicken salad.
How to make chicken grape salad
This salad is incredibly easy to make, and easier yet if you have cooked chicken at hand. I love using leftover shredded chicken, roast or rotisserie chicken, or even turkey leftovers for this dish. And if you don't have cooked chicken at hand, all you have to do is cook two chicken fillets in the oven before shredding it ready to add to the salad.
The great thing with any salad is that it's super easy to customise to your preferences. Omit any ingredients you don't like, or add any ingredients you think would be good. I think adding pineapple, apples, shredded carrots, red cabbage, black olives or pears would be super tasty - let me know how it turns out if you try it!
For the recipe, simply combine shredded chicken, diced vegetables and the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
This is a meat heavy side dish, and it can be quite filling. I love to serve this salad as a part of a larger buffet or potluck table; with some bread, meat dishes, salads and vegetable casseroles. If you want to serve this salad as a main course, you can serve it with a light vegetable dish like roasted green beans. Grape and chicken salad is also great as a sandwich filler.
Store leftover grape and chicken salad in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The dish is not suitable for freezing.
More tasty salad recipes:
- Halloumi and butternut squash salad
- Orzo salad with spinach, feta and lemon
- Shrimp and avocado salad
- Broccoli salad with raisins and bacon
Grape and chicken salad
- 200 g red grapes, halved
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 100 g Greek yogurt
- 2 chicken breasts*
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Cook the chicken breast fillets using your preferred method. You can pan fry them on medium heat, roast them in the oven or slow cook the chicken until it's cooked through. To cook them in the oven, preheat your oven to 210°C / 200°C fan oven / 410°F. Bake the chicken fillets until the meat is white throughout, about 10-15 minutes. Then, use two forks to shred the meat, and leave it to cool down. Alternatively, use leftover shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- Combine halved grapes, finely diced celery, roughly chopped walnuts, shredded chicken, Greek yogurt and lemon juice in a salad bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients thoroughly.
- Serve the salad immediately, or store it in the fridge until it's ready to serve.