Crispy turmeric roasted chickpeas is a flavourful and delicious snack rich in vegetarian protein. Eat them as is, or add them to salads for a wholesome and satiating meal!
- Chickpeas – I buy them tinned for convenience.
- Turmeric – a miracle spice that looks cool, tastes great and is known for its health benefits.
- Salt, pepper and cumin – brings out more flavour.
- Oil – vegetable oil or olive oil will both work. This helps the chickpeas crisp up in the oven.
How to make turmeric roasted chickpeas
Pre heat the oven to 210 C / 200 C fan oven / 410 F.
Drain and rinse tinned chickpeas, and add them to a baking tray. Add the seasoning and oil, and rub this over the chickpeas to make sure that they are completely covered.
Roast the chickpeas until they are crunchy. This typically takes 10-15 minutes. Serve the turmeric roasted chickpeas while still hot, or allow them to cool down before adding them to chilled food like salads.
How to serve them
Turmeric roasted chickpeas are amazing served on its own as a snack, or added to a trail mix. I often serve them in salads as well, such as sweet potato chickpea salad, or tuna bulgur salad with chickpeas.
If you enjoy preparing meals ahead of time, you can roast a large batch of chickpeas and add them to lunch salads or snack packs through the week.
Leftover turmeric roasted chickpeas can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Keep in mind that storing chickpeas will typically make them less crunchy. However, they will still taste great!
Frequently asked questions
Can I use any other seasoning? – Yes! You can add any seasoning you like. Try smoked paprika, coriander, cajun seasoning or pepper.
More snacks and finger foods
- Potato and cheese balls – creamy mashed potato breaded and baked until crispy.
- Broccoli and cheese balls – cheesy baked broccoli balls, perfect when served with dip.
- Spinach and feta puff pastry pinwheels – creamy spinach and feta in flaky pastry.
Turmeric roasted chickpeas
- 1 tin chickpeas (400 g) (250 g cooked chickpeas)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oil
- Preheat the oven to 210 C / 200 C fan oven / 410 F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to a baking tray.
- Add the spices and oil on top, and stir to coat the chickpeas evenly.
- Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until they are crunchy.
- Serve turmeric roasted chickpeas while still warm, or allow them to cool down if you prefer.