Smoked salmon and avocado toast is a delicious and easy breakfast, lunch or snack. It's super easy to throw together quickly on busy mornings. Wholemeal bread, salmon and avocado is a great combo of fiber and healthy fats. This avocado toast recipe will keep you full for hours!
- Bread. Any bread goes, so choose your favorite. I prefer to use a wholegrain seeded bread for extra flavor and texture.
- Avocado. Can't have avocado toast without avocado. Choose a super soft and ripe avocado.
- Smoked salmon. I like the packages of smoked salmon that comes in large flakes. It's both easy to work with and appetizing.
- Some seasoning. In particular, dill and freshly ground black pepper.
How to make smoked salmon and avocado toast
Toast your bread. The easiest way is using a toaster, but you can also use a grill, oven or a dry pan. Then, add avocado. Make sure that your avocado is very ripe. You should be able to use a knife to spread it on your toast like butter. Then, simply add smoked salmon on top.
I like to also add some seasoning. Dried dill is great with salmon. Lemon juice, lemon pepper, mustard and horseradish sauce, sea salt and black pepper are also great.
In this recipe I have used freshly ground black pepper and dill. You can substitute these with whatever you prefer, or omit them altogether.
Why is avocado toast so popular?
In the last few years, avocado toast has become incredibly popular. You can find them in just about every restaurant or café that offers breakfast. The popularity is very much linked with the increased popularity of avocado itself in recent years.
Avocado is known for it's creamy texture and mild flavor. It's suitable for many diets, including keto, paleo, whole30, and being a fruit it's also vegan and gluten free. It's an excellent natural spread that pairs well with many other flavors.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to a day. Keep in mind that avocado tends to brown very quickly. I recommend only making as many avocado toasts as you can eat, and avoiding leftovers if possible.
Frequently asked questions
Can I add other ingredients? - Absolutely! It's your toast - add whatever you want!
More toast and sandwich ideas
Here are some ideas to help you plan an amazing breakfast or brunch.
- Egg salad with avocado - A healthy egg salad with creamy avocado is perfect on toasted bread.
- Whipped feta with honey - This easy feta spread with honey is lovely on its own, with tomatoes or even with jam!
- Roasted red pepper hummus - Hummus is amazing paired with Mediterranean flavours for a light and healthy sandwich.
- Crockpot bbq chicken - A simple but easy sandwich with bbq pulled chicken is always well received!
- Healthy French Toast - A classic brunch option.
Smoked salmon and avocado toast
- 4 sliced of wholemeal bread
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 pieces of smoked salmon
- dried dill, freshly ground pepper
- Toast your bread. The easiest way is using a toaster, but you can also use a grill, oven or a dry pan.
- Then, add avocado. Make sure that your avocado is very ripe. You should be able to use a knife to spread it on your toast like butter. Then, simply add smoked salmon on top.
- Add some seasoning. I suggest using dried dill and freshly ground black pepper, but you can add anything you want on top.