A delicious, wholesome, creamy broccoli cheddar soup made in the slow cooker is such an easy weeknight meal! You might have noticed that I absolutely love using my slow cooker. Like this Slow cooker lasagna soup with minced beef or Easy slow cooker apricot chicken with thyme. This slow cooker broccoli cheddar soup is such a great and easy taste on a classic soup. No fancy ingredients, no fuss, just delicious, creamy soup!
I am a massive fan of soup. It’s just so incredibly comforting. I also love how easy it is to just boil a bunch of stuff, blend it all together and there you go – dinner’s done! If you want to get really fancy, you can of course garnish with small broccoli chunks, a dab of greek yogurt or some fresh, chopped herbs. This stuff is so good however that all you need is to put it in a bowl and serve – the flavor will speak for itself.
Here is what you need to make this soup
- Stock cube
- Salt and pepper
How to make broccoli cheddar soup
Cut a broccoli into florets, and dice an onion. Add to a slow cooker along with water, nutmeg, a stock cube and some salt and pepper. Cook on low setting for 4-6 hours until the broccoli is soft. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the slow cooker. Alternatively, you can pour the vegetables and liquid into a blender, blend until smooth, and add the soup back to the slow cooker.
Next, we make a milky sauce to thicken the soup and give it that perfect, creamy consistency. Melt some butter in a pot, and add flour. Stir until combined. Slowly add milk, little by little, by stirring to prevent clumps. Add the sauce to the slow cooker. Stir to combine, then slowly add the cheese. Only add one small handful at a time, and stir until it’s melted and evenly distributed to the soup. When all the cheese is added, put the lid back on and cook for another 15 minutes – 2 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Slow cooker broccoli cheddar soup
- Slow cooker
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 700 ml water
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 100 ml milk
- 200 g cheddar
- Add broccoli florets, stock cube, nutmeg, water and chopped onion to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, until the broccoli is cooked through.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- In a small pot, melt the butter.
- Add the flour to the butter and stir until a thick paste forms.
- Add the milk a little bit at a time to the pot, stirring to prevent any lumps.
- When all the milk is added, pour the sauce into the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Gradually add the cheese to the slow cooker, a little bit at a time and stir in between while it melts to make sure it's evenly incorporated.
- When all the cheese is added, put the lid on and leave to cook on low for 15 min to 2 hours.
- Pour into bowls and serve!