Potato and carrot soup is a hearty, delicious and creamy vegetable soup made with staple ingredients.
I love a good comforting soup, especially during the colder months of the year. This soup with potatoes and carrots tastes great, is made with affordable ingredients, and it’s healthy and low calorie too.
The recipe is perfect to cater for dietary requirements. It’s naturally vegan, dairy free, gluten free, and allergy friendly. The potatoes give the soup a delicious, creamy texture completely without adding any dairy products.
If you love this recipe, you may also want to check out my collection full of healthy vegetable soups!
This soup is also easy to make with whichever ingredients you have available. Feel free to add leftover vegetables such as rutabaga, parsnips, celery and zucchini.
Prepare your ingredients by peeling and dicing the vegetables.
Heat up some cooking spray or vegetable oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté them for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the diced potatoes, carrots, vegetable stock and nutmeg to the pot. Cover with a lid, and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and leave it to cook until the vegetables are soft enough to easily pierce with a fork with little resistance, about 15-20 minutes.
Serve the soup immediately while it’s still hot!
💭 Top tips
Here are my top tips on how you can make the best carrot and potato soup:
- Make sure to boil the vegetables long enough for them to soften completely, or you will have a hard time blending the soup smooth. If you’re in a rush, chop the potatoes and carrots finely before boiling, as this will reduce the cooking time.
- Don’t skimp on the salt and pepper! This dish will taste like bland, watery mashed potatoes if you don’t add enough seasoning. Pepper is fantastic in this dish, and I add a lot.
- You can also add additional seasoning. Try some dried herbs like thyme, curry powder or cayenne pepper for a spicy version.
🥗 Serving suggestions
This soup can be served as an appetizer, or as a quick and easy meal for lunch or dinner.
I like to serve potato and carrot soup as is, or with toasted or crusted bread. Few things are as good as dunking a tasty piece of bread into a thick, comforting soup!
Here is how you can best store any leftovers:
Storing: You can store the soup in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it before serving.
Freezing: Potato and carrot soup can also be frozen for up to 6 months. Place it in freezer safe containers, and freeze either in big batches or in portion sizes for easy future meals. Thaw and reheat before serving.
Reheating: This soup can be reheated in a few minutes in a microwave. Larger batches can also be reheated in a pot on the stove top.
Make ahead: As this soup stores and reheats really well, it’s perfect as an easy make ahead meal. Consider making a double batch and freeze the leftovers.
🍴 You might also like these recipes..
If you love healthy vegetable soup recipes, you should try any of these recipes:
📋 Frequently asked questions
Can I use frozen carrots or potatoes? – Absolutely! Both will work just fine in this recipe. I love to freeze any vegetables, to use in dishes like these. You can also check out my guide on how to freeze potatoes!
Potato and Carrot Soup
- Prepare your ingredients by peeling and dicing the vegetables.
- Heat up some cooking spray or vegetable oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté them for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes, carrots, vegetable stock and nutmeg to the pot. Cover with a lid, and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and leave it to cook until the vegetables are soft enough to easily pierce with a fork with little resistance, about 15-20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender (like this one from Amazon) to puree the soup completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup immediately while it’s still hot!