This caprese pasta salad with pesto is a comforting, easy vegetarian pasta salad. Combine pesto, mozzarella balls and tomatoes with pasta for a healthy light dinner or lunch.
I am a big fan of pasta salads, and this is one of my absolute favorites. I mean, it's cheese and pasta - what's not to like! Served chilled, it's a great recipe for warm summer days.
This salad only requires a few ingredients. You will need pesto (homemade or storebought), mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and pasta.
I love making this recipe with small types of pasta, like penne, fusilli or macaroni.
Boil the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain off the remaining pasta water, and add the pasta to a salad bowl. Add pesto, and stir to coat each piece of pasta evenly in the sauce.
Chop the cherry tomatoes in half, and add them to the salad along with small mozzarella balls. Combine the salad, and serve!
💭 Top tips
Here is how you can make the best caprese pasta salad:
- Use good quality juicy tomatoes for a fresh, delicious flavor.
- Use your favorite pesto. I like to make my own, but a good storebought one will do just fine as well.
- Use whole wheat pasta for a fiber rich version of the salad, or chickpea fusilli for more protein.
🥗 Serving suggestions
Serve caprese pasta salad with pesto as a main course for a lighter meal, or as a side dish with grilled or roasted meat. It's a great addition to any BBQ buffet or potluck table, or to bring for a picnic.
Leftover caprese pasta salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Keep it in an airtight container to preserve it for as long as possible.
The leftovers can be heated if you wish, but I prefer to serve this salad chilled.
🍴 You might also like these recipes..
If you love hearty main course salads, try any of these recipes:
📋 Frequently asked questions
Is this recipe allergy friendly? - Consult the nutrition labels on the ingredient you use to make sure that they comply with your dietary requirements. This recipe is usually egg free, nut free and soy free. Additionally, it is also vegetarian.
Can I add any other vegetables? - Absolutely! You can add sliced cucumbers, red onions, peppers or lettuce if you want to add more colors and flavors to this salad.
Which tomatoes should I use? - I prefer to use cherry or plum tomatoes for this recipe. You can also use roma tomatoes, or any tomatoes really. Just dice them into bite sized pieces before adding them to the caprese salad.
Caprese Pasta Salad with Pesto
- 300 g pasta
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 200 g mozzarella
- 3 tablespoon pesto
- Boil the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Drain off the remaining pasta water, and add the pasta to a salad bowl. Add pesto, and stir to coat each piece of pasta evenly in the sauce.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half, and add them to the salad along with small mozzarella balls.
- Combine the salad, and serve!
Leave a comment