Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
Start your day with this filling and tasty sweet potato breakfast casserole. This make ahead breakfast dish stores well, is easy to adapt, and allows you to save some time in the morning.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time50 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr
Keyword: breakfast casserole with sweet potatoes and sausage, breakfast freezer meal, sweet potato breakfast, sweet potato breakfast casserole
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 red bell pepper (diced and seeds removed)
- 2 jalapenos (diced and seeds removed)
- 4 garlic cloves (grated or finely diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (or Italian seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Bake the sweet potatoes
Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into ½-inch or 1 cm thick cubes.
Place the sweet potato cubes on a baking sheet, and cover with ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, pepper, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Bake at 350 F / 180 C for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft enough to easily pierce with a fork.
Prepare the filling
Meanwhile, heat up the olive oil in a large skillet or pot on the stove over medium heat. Add ground sausage, and satuee for a few minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
Add peeled diced onion, grated or minced garlic, diced bell pepper, finely chopped jalapenos, ⅛ teaspoon salt, red pepper flakes, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to the sausage. Stir and saute for a few more minutes, or until the onion looks soft and translucent.
Add washed spinach to the sausage, and stir until the leaves wilt down.
Assemble and bake
Add the roasted sweet potato cubes to the sausage mix, and stir to combine.
Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl, and add dired mixed herbs, paprika, cumin, milk and shredded cheddar cheese. Whisk until the eggs look evenly incorporated.
Add the sausage and sweet potato mix to the eggs. Stir to combine.
Transfer the egg sausage mixture into a greased casserole dish or baking dish (around 9 by 13 inches). Optionally, top with extra cheddar cheese or crumbled feta cheese.
Bake the casserole in the oven at 350 F / 180 C for about 30 minutes, or until the eggs look mostly set, with only a slight wobble in the middle.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 6 months. You can enjoy the leftovers cold or reheat them in a microwave, oven, or air fryer to serve it warm.
- Although this is a fantastic breakfast casserole, you can also serve it for lunch, brunch, or dinner.
- Feel free to substitute the ingredients. You can replace the vegetables or add extra veggies if you want. The ground sausage can also be substituted with shredded chicken, tuna, ground beef, or crumbled tofu.
Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 295mg | Sodium: 622mg | Potassium: 589mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10158IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 3mg