Ham, Green Beans, and Potatoes
This fantastic leftover ham recipe is perfect comfort food! Ham, green beans and potatoes are cooked in chicken broth to create a delicious one pot meal.
- 1 large onion (or 2 to medium)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pound potatoes
- ½ pound green beans
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 pinch black pepper
Warm up some olive oil or canola oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add peeled and diced onion to the pot, and saute for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add finely diced garlic, and saute for another minute.
Add diced ham, green beans, peeled and diced potatoes, and chicken stock to the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, and reduce it to a simmer over medium heat. Add additional chicken stock if you want more broth in the dish.
Allow to simmer for 15-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft enough to easily pierce with a fork. Stir occasionally.
Add black pepper, and optionally salt, to taste. Serve immediately.
- Adjust the amount of broth used to suit your preference. More broth will make the dish more like soup.
- Feel free to add more seasoning if you'd like. Dried herbs, a bay leaf, or a pinch of cayenne pepper would be great additions.
- You can also add extra vegetables if you want. Try adding diced carrots, peas, cabbage, broccoli, or kale. Drained and rinsed canned white beans are also a great addition.
Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 1191mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 397IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg