Crockpot Chicken and Rice
This easy Crockpot chicken and rice is a flavorful one pot dinner, perfect for busy weeknights! Chicken breasts, brown rice and vegetables are cooked together in your slow cooker for a convenient, but delicious meal.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time3 hours hrs
Total Time3 hours hrs 5 minutes mins
Keyword: brown rice, chicken and rice, chicken breasts, crockpot, easy, one pot dinner, slow cooker
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 cup brown rice (don't use any other rice than regular long brown rice)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 2 cups diced carrots (2 medium carrots)
- ½ cup diced celery (2 celery sticks)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Add brown rice, diced carrots, Dijon mustard, diced onions, grated garlic, diced celery and seasoning to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
1 cup brown rice, 3 garlic cloves, 1 onion, 2 cups diced carrots, ½ cup diced celery, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Pour over chicken broth and seasoning, and place the chicken breasts on top. Don't stir.
1 pound chicken breasts, 3 cups chicken broth
Cover with a lid, and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours, or until the chicken is cooked.
Then, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker, and shred or dice the meat. Leave it to rest on the side. *
Continue to cook the rice and vegetables for a further 30-90 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. The exact cooking time can vary depending on your slow cooker. *
Add the peas, Parmesan, and shredded chicken to the slow cooker, and stir to combine. The peas and Parmesan will quickly warm up. Add any seasoning to taste, and serve.
1 cup frozen peas, ¼ cup Parmesan
- If possible, leave the chicken to rest on a plate covered with aluminum foil, or a place where it can stay warm.
- The exact cooking time required will vary depending on your slow cooker. I have tested this recipe in two different Crock pots. In one, the rice only needed an additional 30 minutes to finish cooking, and the other required over an hour. Keep an eye on the rice, and check it regularly to find the right cooking time for your exact slow cooker.
- Store any leftovers in a refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Calories: 437kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 887mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 375IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 3mg