Slow Cooker Braising Steak
This juicy slow cooker braising steak is so tender that it completely falls apart on its own. Shredded beef is delicious and versatile, and it's incredibly easy to make in your Crockpot.
- 400 g braising steak (1 pound)
- 500 ml beef stock (2 cups)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Optionally, slice the fat off of the braising steaks before cooking.
400 g braising steak
Season the meat with salt, pepper and mustard powder.
½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon mustard powder
Heat up some cooking oil in a frying pan on medium to high heat. Sear the meat on all sides until it's browned on the surface.
Place the seared beef in the slow cooker. Add sliced onions, chopped garlic, and the remaining ingredients. Cover with a lid.
1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon tomato puree, 2 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 500 ml beef stock
Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours, or on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until the beef is so tender that it easily shreds apart when you touch it with a fork.
- Store leftovers in a refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat it before serving.
- If you want to thicken the broth based sauce, you can add some cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water) after the beef is shredded. Cover with a lid, and cook on low for an extra 20 minutes. Alternatively, use gravy granulates.
- The step of searing the beef is optional, and can be skipped if you're short on time.
- Braising steak is also known as chuck roast, chuck steak, beef chuck or braising beef. These are all the same cut of meat, only in different shapes and sizes. Use whichever one you can find in your supermarket.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 609mg | Potassium: 645mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 3mg