Slow Cooker Red Cabbage
Looking for a simple vegetable side dish? Try this slow cooker red cabbage. Sliced cabbage is cooked to perfection, and the result is an excellent side to serve with roast meat dishes.
- 2 lbs red cabbage (1 kg)
- 2 red onions
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Slice the red cabbage into thick slices, then add it to a slow cooker along with sliced onion, apple cider vinegar, honey and cinnamon.
Leave the dish to cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low. Add any seasoning such as salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the Crockpot red cabbage immediately, or keep it on warm for up to a few hours until you’re ready to serve it.
- Slice your cabbage in thick, bite-sized slices. Really thin slices tend to cook much faster and turn a bit mushy.
- If you’re hesitant about the vinegar flavor, you can use a smaller amount, however I highly recommend keeping vinegar in the dish. Red cabbage typically turns blue unless it’s cooked with vinegar.
- Don’t remove the lid from the slow cooker as the cabbage cooks. If you do, a good amount of heat is removed from the slow cooker, and the cooking time is typically increased significantly.
- Leftover red cabbage can be stored in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can reheat the leftovers in a microwave or pot, and serve them as a side dish.
Calories: 107kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 43mg | Potassium: 435mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 1687IU | Vitamin C: 89mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1mg