Ground Beef and Broccoli
Ground beef and broccoli is a quick and easy dish, perfect for meal prep lunches, or simple weeknight dinners. It might look plain, but trust me, this meal is everything but boring!
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 broccoli (about 300 g florets)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 scallions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons ginger
- 1 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
Boil rice in a pot with water following the package instructions.
Combine garlic and ginger paste, sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set this to the side for now.
Heat up some olive oil or vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the ground beef, and stir fry until it’s browned throughout. If you want to learn more, I have made a whole post on how to brown mince.
Add the boiled rice, the stir fry sauce you made earlier, and small broccoli florets to the skillet with the beef. Stir to combine the ingredients, and stir fry for 3-5 minutes, or until the broccoli is cooked.
Serve the ground beef and broccoli with toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions on top.
- Don’t overcook your dish! Make sure that the rice is cooked right, and that the broccoli still has a little bite to it.
- If browning your ground beef creates a lot of excess liquid, you can drain this off before adding the remaining ingredients. This will remove some fat from the dish.
- If you use grated garlic and ginger, these should be sauteed with the ground beef before adding the rice and broccoli. This makes them a little milder and more pleasant to eat.
- You can store leftover ground beef and broccoli in a sealed container in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in a microwave or skillet, and serve it warm. You can also freeze the dish for up to 6 months.
Calories: 360kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 657mg | Potassium: 1000mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1007IU | Vitamin C: 138mg | Calcium: 137mg | Iron: 5mg