Smashed Egg on Toast
Start your day right with a smashed egg on toast. An incredibly easy dish that’s made in only a few minutes, but it tastes great and keeps you energized for hours.
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of wholewheat bread
The key part to this recipe is boiling the eggs perfectly. Fill a pot with water, and bring it to a boil. Meanwhile, remove the egg from your refrigerator and leave it next to the pot to allow it to warm up to room temperature.
When the water is boiling, add the eggs. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the eggs, and whether you prefer soft boiled or hard boiled eggs. I recommend setting a timer to keep track of the time. See notes for the exact timings.
After the egg is boiled, remove the shells, and toast your sliced bread. Place the egg on the bread, and use a knife or fork to smash up the egg and spreading it across.
Serve the smashed egg on toast immediately while it’s still warm.
How long to cook your eggs:
- Soft boiled egg: 4 minutes
- Semi soft boiled egg: 5 minutes
- Semi hard boiled egg: 7 minutes
- Hard boiled egg: 8 minutes
- Be careful not to overcook your eggs. I recommend using an egg boiler, as they ensure a perfect result every time.
- You can of course serve the smashed egg on other dishes, not just toast. Try serving them on other types of bread, over fried rice, or in salads.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 208mg | Potassium: 112mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 238IU | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2mg