Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
This delicious pumpkin and sweet potato soup is so comforting and creamy, with the fantastic flavors of fall. A perfect appetizer or main course recipe that also happens to be healthy!
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 lbs)
- 1 lb sweet potatoes (500 g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
Preheat your oven to 360 °F / 180 °C.
Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and butternut squash into similar sized chunks. Place them on a sheet pan, and coat with a thin layer of olive oil.
Roast the vegetables in the oven until they are soft enough to pierce with a fork, about 20 minutes.
Heat up some oil in a pot on medium to high heat. Add finely diced onions, and sautee until it’s soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add grated or finely chopped garlic, and sautee for another minute.
Add the roasted sweet potatoes and squash, along with the vegetable stock and all the seasoning. Cover with a lid, and leave the soup to simmer for about 15 minutes. This will allow all of the flavors to develop in the soup nicely.
Use an immersion blender to blend the soup smooth. Alternatively, you can blend it in batches using a regular blender. Add any additional seasoning to taste, and serve.
- Roasting the pumpkin and sweet potatoes gives them a fantastic flavor. As an alternative, you can cook them in the air fryer with this air fryer butternut squash recipe.
- If your vegetable stock contains salt, you might not need to add any additional salt to the soup.
- This soup is quite thick. If you want it slightly thinner, you can add extra vegetable stock to taste after blending the vegetables.
- Leftover pumpkin and sweet potato soup can be stored in airtight containers in a refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat it in a microwave or on the stove top, and serve the soup warm. You can also freeze it for up to 12 months.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 744mg | Potassium: 850mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 28322IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg