Vegetarian Kimchi Fried Rice
This comforting vegetarian kimchi fried rice is an easy dish made with leftover cooked rice. A comforting and quick meal with amazing Korean flavors.
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice (500 g)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (200 g)
- 1 cup kimchi (350 g)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Start by heating up the oil in a wok or large skillet on medium to high heat. Then add the leftover cooked rice along with finely minced garlic and diced onion. Stir fry these for a minute or two, until the onion is soft and translucent.
Then, add the frozen green peas and kimchi to the wok, and stir fry for another 3-4 minutes. All ingredients, including the peas, should be heated through before removing the stir fry from the heat.
Serve the kimchi fried rice with sliced scallions, toasted sesame seeds and optionally a fried or poached egg on top.
You can store leftover vegetarian kimchi fried rice in airtight containers in a refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serve the leftovers cold, or warm them up in a microwave or skillet before serving.
If you wish to serve the fried rice with an egg on top, I highly recommend frying the egg before serving, instead of storing the leftovers with an egg. A freshly fried egg tastes much better than a cold one!
- You can use any leftover cooked medium or long grain rice, such as basmati or jasmine rice. Avoid using arborio rice or other short grain rice.
- Feel free to use leftover rice that’s been stored in a refrigerator from yesterday’s dinner. If you don’t have any leftover rice, you can boil rice and immediately transfer it to the hot skillet.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 275mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 575IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 2mg